PDA

View Full Version : A little help please.

birdog
08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Attempted scratch removal on wife's suburban. Washed and clayed hood, used PC DA with orange LC CCS with meg's fine cut cleaner (This product was recommended by a professional). Not satisfied with results. I applied product in an x pattern across the face of the pad worked a test section 6-8 passes, observed some light dusting. Wiped area, applied product, and worked the same area 4-6 passes. The scratches were fainter but not gone. Wiped area, applied product, misted with QD spray to allow me to work it longer, 8-10 passes. Wiped area and still faint scratches. Decided I need more cut. I think I'll use M105/205 combo. The scratches are not that deep, can't feel them with fingernail, I might try a yellow pad but I think it's going to take a more aggressive compound. What do y'all think?

Feed back please

UglyBetty
08-19-2013, 07:36 PM
I've used fine cut a long time ago, so take this with a grain of salt. It really didn't do much and barely touched acid rain build up. Medium cut worked much better. Probably need to step it up a notch on polish / cleaner.

birdog
08-19-2013, 07:47 PM
I've used fine cut a long time ago, so take this with a grain of salt. It really didn't do much and barely touched acid rain build up. Medium cut worked much better. Probably need to step it up a notch on polish / cleaner.

I agree. From what I've read on here M105 on an orange or even white pad gives better results than stepping up to a yellow pad. Am I understanding this correctly? My wife was impressed with the shine after I used the fine cut cleaner until I pointed out the scratches were still there. Then she had the audacity to ask if I knew what I was doing since this was my first attempt at any type of correction. LOL
:buffing:

Evan.J
08-19-2013, 07:48 PM
I would try Ultimate Compound with Ultimate polish. UUC have a great working time with a great amount of cut.

birdog
08-19-2013, 08:02 PM
I would try Ultimate Compound with Ultimate polish. UUC have a great working time with a great amount of cut.

I'll look in to it Evan, thanks. Since this is my first correction, does my technique sound correct? I've watched just about every video using the PC DA and I think I'm using it correctly, the only difference might be the products, temperature, humidity, paint hardness, etc., etc., etc.

UglyBetty
08-19-2013, 08:09 PM
105 is pretty aggressive from what I read, (I haven't used it yet, it's on my shelf), but I doubt you could screw up your paint with a PC and orange LC pad using 105/205. I have used a PC and Flex, and use LC CCS 6.5" pads. my experience with the PC and polishes is start with light pressure on speed 4 or so, and wipe off, if that doesn't take out the defect, up the pressure and speed. If that doesn't work , try a more aggressive polish or compound. Buying 1 extra product is much cheaper than new paint, right?

birdog
08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
105 is pretty aggressive from what I read, (I haven't used it yet, it's on my shelf), but I doubt you could screw up your paint with a PC and orange LC pad using 105/205. I have used a PC and Flex, and use LC CCS 6.5" pads. my experience with the PC and polishes is start with light pressure on speed 4 or so, and wipe off, if that doesn't take out the defect, up the pressure and speed. If that doesn't work , try a more aggressive polish or compound. Buying 1 extra product is much cheaper than new paint, right?

I hear that!! :dblthumb2:

Evan.J
08-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Everything you said sounds good

UglyBetty
08-19-2013, 08:49 PM
So unrelated, I assume you have a bird dog? If so, what type.......pointing lab here.

birdog
08-19-2013, 09:17 PM
So unrelated, I assume you have a bird dog? If so, what type.......pointing lab here.

I used to have a German Shorthaired Pointer, but I got the nickname when I was in Jr. High and I worked in my Grandad's body shop, I would always point out the defects in the finish on the cars he was working on. LOL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

birdog
08-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Attempted scratch removal on wife's suburban. Washed and clayed hood, used PC DA with orange LC CCS with meg's fine cut cleaner (This product was recommended by a professional). Not satisfied with results. I applied product in an x pattern across the face of the pad worked a test section 6-8 passes, observed some light dusting. Wiped area, applied product, and worked the same area 4-6 passes. The scratches were fainter but not gone. Wiped area, applied product, misted with QD spray to allow me to work it longer, 8-10 passes. Wiped area and still faint scratches. Decided I need more cut. I think I'll use M105/205 combo. The scratches are not that deep, can't feel them with fingernail, I might try a yellow pad but I think it's going to take a more aggressive compound. What do y'all think?

Feed back please

Here are some pics I took before I attempted any correction. I'll try and get some after pics this evening if I can get home before dark.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/20130818_094331.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/20130818_094247.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/20130818_094313.JPG