PDA

View Full Version : DP Paint Coating Initial Observations

Pages : [1] 2 3

SonOfOC
08-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Applied DP Paint Coating on a third car now and have a better feel for the product. First and most important thing I noticed with DPPC is that it flashes extremely fast. It seems very volatile and flashes faster than OC, Gtechnic C1, and Cquartz.

You must work on small section 2'x2' maximum and wipe it down immediately before going to another section. You will not be able to apply half the hood like with OC or Gtechniq. It simply flashes too fast and it will be tuff knocking down high spots if you wait. Not noticeable on light cars, but dark colors will leave high spots that resemble fingerprints.

Mike Phillips "tips" for using DP paint coating here:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/68614-tips-using-detailer-s-paint-coating.html

Other than the small working area, it is fantastically easy to work with. Dries quickly and the slickness and gloss is phenomenal!

Wors
08-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Interesting, I have had great success applying the DP Coating a panel at a time and wiping high spots. Temperatures on all applications were between 70-90 degrees.

Meticulous-Detail
08-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Interesting, I have had great success applying the DP Coating a panel at a time and wiping high spots. Temperatures on all applications were between 70-90 degrees.

How about hood and trunk? Half or 4 sections?

Wors
08-19-2013, 07:53 PM
The coating is applied to half the hood splitting it down the middle but with over lap. Then I apply the coating to the other half and make sure to over lap. Lightly wipe any high spots with a MF.

To apply I have the DP bottle in one hand and applicator in the other. The spray bottle makes it very easy and quick to apply the coating to panels.

How about hood and trunk? Half or 4 sections?

SonOfOC
08-19-2013, 08:14 PM
The coating is applied to half the hood splitting it down the middle but with over lap. Then I apply the coating to the other half and make sure to over lap. Lightly wipe any high spots with a MF.

To apply I have the DP bottle in one hand and applicator in the other. The spray bottle makes it very easy and quick to apply the coating to panels.

Wow, I'm really surprise that you were able to get half a hood at a time without high spot build ups. Curious, what color was the vehicle?

VP Mark
08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Guys once you get your technique down you will be able to dramatically reduce your high spots. I've done OC and opti-seal for years now and I can apply this coating almost flawlessly in a very short amount of time. Keep practicing. As your technique improves it will get easier and easier to apply.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

tommythecat
08-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Just want to re-iterate how important good lighting is no matter what color the paint. Good lighting goes a long way in making this coating easy to apply and to help keep from leaving high spots.

Wors
08-19-2013, 08:44 PM
DP Coating spreads very easily and spreads quickly. I use the CarPro applicator and MF suede. The cars I have applied it on were blue & silver.

Wow, I'm really surprise that you were able to get half a hood at a time without high spot build ups. Curious, what color was the vehicle?

Klasse Act
08-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Do you go side to side when applying and then up and down or is it best to stick with one direction when applying DPPC?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Wors
08-19-2013, 08:53 PM
I apply it left/right then up/down.

Do you go side to side when applying and then up and down or is it best to stick with one direction when applying DPPC?

Klasse Act
08-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks Wors, this product has me intrigued, so its basically like applying WOWA products I take it? If not, anything different? I see the 2' x 2' area is recommended but when I use BFCS I do a "drag spray" and then wipe the entire fender, going over and over it a couple times to ensure complete coverage and to wipe it in real good.

SonOfOC
08-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Guys once you get your technique down you will be able to dramatically reduce your high spots. I've done OC and opti-seal for years now and I can apply this coating almost flawlessly in a very short amount of time. Keep practicing. As your technique improves it will get easier and easier to apply.

It so easy there's really no technique, just requires a small working area to minimize high spots.

Wors
08-19-2013, 09:08 PM
What applicator are you using?

It so easy there's really no technique, just requires a small working area to minimize high spots.

SonOfOC
08-19-2013, 09:10 PM
CP applicator and MF suede on one car and MF suede over makeup applicator on another.

VP Mark
08-19-2013, 09:14 PM

I guess my point is that with practice you can basically get it to flash and have very little or no high spots.