PDA

View Full Version : A question about dressing trim.

Pages : [1] 2

StuDLei
08-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Yesterday I detailed my brother-in-laws 08 Silverado. It's black and it was FILTHY. He works in construction so it's understandable. :)

He had quite a bit of black plastic trim on his bumper, handles, the part underneath the front bumper (not sure what it's called) and what used to be a black spray-on liner in his bed. I used Optimum Tire Shine on all of these surfaces and it made them black again fairly easily, which is a tremendous feat in my eyes considering a lot of these parts were turning white. I was especially impressed with how well it worked on the spray-on liner. Unfortunately I ran out of product so I wasn't able to put it on as thick in the bed as I would have liked, but it still worked quite well.

Here's where my questions come in. I washed the truck thoroughly first. In fact I did it twice. I rinsed with the hose first, then washed with an ONR, OPC combo, then rinsed again. I did not dry. I pulled it into my garage and did a normal ONR wash on what was now a pretty clean surface. Oh, I clayed while I did this as well.

So at this point, the truck was as clean as I could get it. It probably wasn't as surgically clean as Mike Phillips can get a car, but it was close. I spent hours just doing these steps. His tires, rims and wheel wells took my two hours alone.

Now that the truck was "surgically clean" I dressed the trim. When I did this I tried my best not to get in on the paint, but in my experience it is almost impossible to do this. Do you guys have any tips when it comes to this? I got some Tire Shine on paint, around all the edges of the trim. To take care of it, I ONR'ed those areas once or twice. What I'm really curious about is how do you guys go about this sort of thing? Did I do it right or is there a better/ more efficient way?

When I was done with all of that, I applied Opti-Seal, just in case any one is curious. He's bringing the truck back to me, hopefully this week, so I can actually use my Flex on it now. The paint is swirled to hell and back, so I'm really excited to go at it.

I took before pics and I'll take more befores of the clean but swirled paint when he brings it back. I'll try to get a 50/50 shot too, along with after pics.

Thanks for your help. Sorry, I got needlessly in depth there.

Baconz2012
08-19-2013, 12:02 AM
I usually just tape around the edges like i would when polishing. Or i get a peice of cardboard and use it as a cover while i do a section.

cleanmycorolla
08-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Taping solves it.

StuDLei
08-19-2013, 12:38 AM
Thought about taping, but that seemed completely unorthodox to me. Never heard it mentioned on these forums, ever. Interesting. Also seems like a lot of work... it's easier to just wipe it up as best as possible and then ONR quick I think.

hernandez.art13
08-19-2013, 12:50 AM
I believe it was wheels and toys that brought these. He even gave me one.
They are simple but they seem to get very precise. And he had a bag full, don't know how much he bought them for but I imagine they are pretty inexpensive

StuDLei
08-19-2013, 01:02 AM
Where do you think I can get those Art? They're like a house paint product right?

hernandez.art13
08-19-2013, 01:10 AM
I forgot the conversation of where he bought them, i just went on Amazon and typed in Fine Foam Paint Brushes.

They are like $7

To me they look like arts and crafts tools, something that you would find at Michael's (I know stores are named differently in different US States)

Rsurfer
08-19-2013, 01:35 AM
You should polish first and do the trim last. It will be difficult to tape the trim now that it has a dressing on it. Don't be disappointed if the Tire Shine washes off quickly. There are much better trim dressings than Tire Shine.

StuDLei
08-19-2013, 01:52 AM
You should polish first and do the trim last. It will be difficult to tape the trim now that it has a dressing on it. Don't be disappointed if the Tire Shine washes off quickly. There are much better trim dressings than Tire Shine.

To be honest, I've been trying to determine what the correct order of everything in a full process is. Is there such a list that you know of?

I don't expect the tire shine to last all that long, but I've had pretty good luck with Optimum protectant on some trim on my own car, so this should be even better. I'm just a hobbyist and it was the only thing I had. What are your recommendations for something that lasts longer?

I don't think I'll have many problems taping when I polish, just because of where the trim is located versus where I'll have to polish. I don't know, maybe, but the tape I have is so damn sticky to begin with hopefully I'll be okay.

rmagnus
08-19-2013, 02:06 AM
First of all you can get foam paint brushes at any hardware or craft store. Or do a google search.

Regular masking tape is usually too sticky and leaves residue behind. Go with blue or green painters tape or order some Meguiars masking tape.

You'll work out your order for detailing. Most do trim last.

StuDLei
08-19-2013, 02:36 AM
First of all you can get foam paint brushes at any hardware or craft store. Or do a google search.

Regular masking tape is usually too sticky and leaves residue behind. Go with blue or green painters tape or order some Meguiars masking tape.

You'll work out your order for detailing. Most do trim last.

Have 3m blue, green and Meguiar's masking tape too, lol.

I've got a Sherwin Williams right by me so I'll check them out for the foam brushes; thanks.

Rsurfer
08-19-2013, 03:31 AM
To be honest, I've been trying to determine what the correct order of everything in a full process is. Is there such a list that you know of?

I don't expect the tire shine to last all that long, but I've had pretty good luck with Optimum protectant on some trim on my own car, so this should be even better. I'm just a hobbyist and it was the only thing I had. What are your recommendations for something that lasts longer?

I don't think I'll have many problems taping when I polish, just because of where the trim is located versus where I'll have to polish. I don't know, maybe, but the tape I have is so damn sticky to begin with hopefully I'll be okay.
The process would be as follows:
Wash
Clay
Iron X (optional)
polish
clean polishing oils
LSP

Ultima Tire and Trim Guard would be my recommendation.

StuDLei
08-19-2013, 03:59 AM
The process would be as follows:
Wash
Clay
Iron X (optional)
polish
clean polishing oils
LSP

Ultima Tire and Trim Guard would be my recommendation.

Right, I've got that much. Where do you include trim dressing? Windows? Do you dress the dash before or after you clean the inside windshield? Do you clean tires, wells, and wheels first? Do you dress them before polishing, washing the rest of the vehicle, etc? Basically, there are a lot more steps than what you listed. Maybe there is some sort of "master" list out there... which is what I was alluding to.

BillE
08-19-2013, 05:55 AM
For me, the windows are the last step. No matter how I try, I ALWAYS seem to get something on the glass.

Back to the foam brushes...this is one time you don't have to be too concerned with 'quality.' Just find the lowest priced (nice way of saying, cheapest) paks.

About doing trim first vice last, I have read that doing the trim first can 'protect' it from an errant opps from the/a compound/polish stain. Kinda makes sense.

Bill

vet
08-19-2013, 06:46 AM
The brushes are good. I used a small one on the black plastic in the grille of the Pacifica. On the top rails, I slide a soft plastic body putty applicator along with the sponge. It takes a little practice, but quicker (for me) than taping.