PDA

View Full Version : What Pad To Use

KenVette57
08-18-2013, 07:41 PM
I've decided to start a side Detailing business, I love doing it on my car and thought why not enjoy it for some spending money. I'll be targeting the normal everyday driver demographic. After reading your thread about detailing, I'm starting with the 3 step system. Wash
Clay
Cleaner / Wax
Vacuum the interior and wipe down. Ok, What pad would I use to apply a cleaner/wax? I'll be using Porter Cable DA and want to got with Lake County CCS pads.

Thanks

rider9195
08-18-2013, 08:05 PM
It really depends on the paints condition. On a car with extremely light swirls and just needs some refreshing, you can get away with a black/grey LC pad. But some cars will need a white pad or others might need an orange. After performing these services on various vehicles, you'll get the hang of what pad suits the job!

CDot
08-18-2013, 08:15 PM
You can get away with using an Orange pad for a cleaner/wax? I always thought the green pad was best for that?

inDetail
08-18-2013, 09:54 PM
It's all depends on the paint and the condition. I have had good results with a AIO and orange hex logic pads as a one step sometimes removing 80-90% of defects.

BillE
08-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Not trying bust your chops, but this is why a 'test spot' is paramount.

I know is does sound counter-intuitive; changing pads, using (what seems) more product, plus time...but that time spent actually results in less time on the job at hand.

That said...GO GIT 'EM!

Bill

Mike Phillips
08-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Anytime you're using a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO as some people call them you want to use the least aggressive foam pad possible to get he job done.

The problem you can run into is DA Haze caused by the pad when doing a one-step to a car. You can see this on dark colored or black clear coated cars but usually not on white or light colored cars but think about it... if it's happening to dark and black colored cars it's also happening to light colored cars.

Your choice of foam pad is a factor as it relates to cut or abrasiveness, so try to use the softest pad to make the paint clear and shiny while not leaving any haze.

If you use a foam cutting pad and leave a haze in the paint, this means you need to come back and re-buff the car and now you're no longer doing a ONE STEP. Might as well have sold your customer a two-step process.

See the second page of my VIF for an example of what to sell your customer and if you sell them on your "Package 1", then try to use the softest pad you can.

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/62084-mike-phillips-vif-vehicle-inspection-form.html)

A soft foam pad would include

Foam Polishing Pads
Foam Finishing Pads
Foam Waxing Pads.

Note: The softer the pad the less correction but when using a one-step cleaner/wax but remember, the goal isn't correction, it's protection and shiny paint, that means making the swirls shiny not removing the swirls.

Removing swirls takes time and time is money, so when doing this for money be sure you're educated on what's what and then educate your customer on what's what.

Underpromise and over deliver

:)