PDA

View Full Version : Washing cars

Pages : [1] 2

BrianMcLeod
08-18-2013, 06:35 PM
I wash cars around my neighbor hood and heard from a video that some soap at the stores is not that good any good Quality soap from autogeek btw I'm 14

Wheelzntoys
08-18-2013, 06:40 PM
OTC soaps are good, Meguiars Gold Class for example

af90
08-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Turtle Wax Rinseless has also been getting some pretty good reviews.

Evan.J
08-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Was that an AMMO video?

Shane731
08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Assuming you don't want to spend a lot of money, Meguiar's Shampoo Plus is a nice shampoo that won't break the bank.

Meguiar’s D111 Shampoo Plus, 1 Gallon (http://www.autogeek.net/mg11101.html)

CDot
08-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Meg's Gold Class Shampoo is normally the OTC (over-the-counter) favorite, but I've heard good things about Mother's California Gold (NOT the wash & wax, the regular shampoo).

Calendyr
08-18-2013, 08:29 PM
The major difference will be your technique. Make sure to wash correctly, there are tons of videos out there explaining the 2 bucket wash, the proper drying technique.

Make sure to get a good microfiber towel to dry the cars. And never use it if it's dirty or if you drop it on the ground.

I am glad to see someone your age with this kind of initiative. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask us if you need to know anything. Youtube has videos on pretty much every single aspect of detailing so it's a good place to learn too.

sharpreflection
08-18-2013, 08:58 PM
some car soaps you can buy at local stores are good and some are crap. I have been using turtle wax Ice soap and I really like it. I also use Meguiars ultimate wash and wax.

BrianMcLeod
08-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks yes I did hear it from ammo

ironsurvivor
08-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Im 18 and do the same. I use meguiars gold class with 2 5 gallon buckets with grit guards. (I foam the car first with chem guys honeydew) dry car with leaf blower and then get the rest with waffle weave towel. Gold class is the only shampoo i have used and it has served me well.

yankees2452
08-18-2013, 09:54 PM
I use zymol auto wash that I buy at walmart for about 8$, works well for me and it smells amazing. Good suds and surface lube. It's cheap, readily available and you can get a lot of uses out of it.

jsgntulok
08-18-2013, 10:07 PM
some car soaps you can buy at local stores are good and some are crap. I have been using turtle wax Ice soap and I really like it. I also use Meguiars ultimate wash and wax.
I also use and like Turtle Wax Ice Soap. I get it at Sams, $9.99/gallon

pickles
08-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I use zymol auto wash that I buy at walmart for about 8$, works well for me and it smells amazing. Good suds and surface lube. It's cheap, readily available and you can get a lot of uses out of it.

That is a good soap, $8 for 32oz is a good deal. Works well in a foam gun or cannon too.

The only shampoos I don't recommend are black magic shampoo and XMT gel shampoo. I have been happy with all others including Meg's ultimate wash/wax

KBsToy
08-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Im 18 and do the same. I use meguiars gold class with 2 5 gallon buckets with grit guards. (I foam the car first with chem guys honeydew) dry car with leaf blower and then get the rest with waffle weave towel. Gold class is the only shampoo i have used and it has served me well.

Sounds like an excellent plan of attack. I am 60 years old and do the same thing when washing my toys.:dblthumb2:

Desertnate
08-19-2013, 08:36 AM
I've used the Gold Class for years with great results.

Don't get sucked into the idea you have to buy uber expensive mail order stuff from small companies with cool sounding names in order to get good results.

I'm sure most those products do deliver as advertised, but you get close, if not identical results, by being very selective with what you can easily get in stores.