PDA

View Full Version : Mothers gold brand clay bar...

Lexi65
08-18-2013, 03:06 PM
A buddy swears by this and claims it doesn't harm the
Paint! Feed back please

af90
08-18-2013, 03:23 PM
All clay in the U.S. is made by the same company. It'll work fine.

jamesboyy
08-18-2013, 03:24 PM
mothers gold clay bar or any clay bar for that matter does not harm the paint as long as you use a qd or some kind of lubercan with clay

Lexi65
08-18-2013, 03:27 PM
mothers gold clay bar or any clay bar for that matter does not harm the paint as long as you use a qd or some kind of lubercan with clay

Have consistently read that when you clay, you are guaranteed
Marring and ?

True or not?Feed back please

jamesboyy
08-18-2013, 03:46 PM
The key to claying is lubrication as long as there is enough lubrication there should not be no marring or anything .

Bunky
08-18-2013, 03:50 PM
I have used three different brands of clay (Mothers, Meguiars, some generic gray) and I do not think they were the same composition by elasticity, etc but they were all the mild variety and gave similar results.

FUNX650
08-18-2013, 05:43 PM
A buddy swears by this and claims it doesn't harm the
Paint! Feed back please
How auto-clay is formulated will be the determinate of its overall potential to remove above surface contaminates and even do: "harm to paint".
By how it's formulated includes the size and type of abrasives that are in a certain grade of auto-clay. YES! Auto-clay is an abrasive.

When using just enough lubrication...
Most consumer grade detailing-clays are formulated to remove above surface contaminates, overspray without "harming the paint".

However...
Even if no "harm"/marring is said to be observable...After claying:
I always plan on performing at least a one-step polishing session.

Notes from my "claying-experience":
-Improper amount of clay-lubrication can leave surface harm/marring.
-Too much clay-lubrication may also cause the clay to suffer hydroplaning
to the extent that little to no contaminate-removal may occur.

If/when: "The Baggie-Test" calls for their usage...
Mother's and similar claying products simply perform as advertised.
Use them as part of your "major" detailing processes.

:)

Bob

af90
08-18-2013, 05:46 PM
I have used three different brands of clay (Mothers, Meguiars, some generic gray) and I do not think they were the same composition by elasticity, etc but they were all the mild variety and gave similar results.Clay Magic owns the patent in the United States and produces all clay, there are differences such as fine, medium, and aggressive grade clay, but as for by brand there is none other than differences due to the batch it was produced in.

Bunky
08-18-2013, 06:51 PM
I am describing my experiences.

af90
08-18-2013, 07:19 PM
I am describing my experiences.Ah okay. I've only tried Adam's and Uber.

Lexi65
08-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I have used three different brands of clay (Mothers, Meguiars, some generic gray) and I do not think they were the same composition by elasticity, etc but they were all the mild variety and gave similar results.

Does that mean no marring or? Feed back please

CDot
08-18-2013, 08:02 PM
I've used Mother's as well--no marring on this end. The OTC clay bar kits are fairly mild, geared toward the every day consumer. Just be sure to use the included clay lube/QD. Even if there is a little marring (which I haven't seen any on my vehicle) then you can lightly polish and it will go away.

cleanmycorolla
08-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Does that mean no marring or? Feed back please

To be honest the only way you'll know if clay will mar YOUR paint is to just try it. I've never had any mild clay scar my car, but odds you'll be fine. But no one hear can predict about marring it all depends on if you do it properly and your paint on your car.

forrest@mothers
08-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Using clay properly (according to the manufacturer's directions) is the way to prevent possible marring of the surface. We recommend using our instant detailer for a reason. Others may suggest different lubricants, but we know ours will work properly when used according to our directions.

Personally, I tire of reading that all clays are the same - that's not true. We spec how we want our clay made. Other manufacturers do the same. Aggressiveness, pliability, color, etc., are some of the variables.

FUNX650
08-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Personally, I tire of reading that all clays are the same - that's not true.
We spec how we want our clay made. Other manufacturers do the same.
Aggressiveness, pliability, color, etc., are some of the variables.
^^^:iagree:^^^

If only folks would research: uspto.gov...comes to mind.

:)

Bob