PDA

View Full Version : Rupes and LC Hydro: Warning

TundraPower
08-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Warning to All:

LC Hydro Red pads are not stout enough to use with Rupes 21. I've had them skip and rip off the backing during polishing 4 times now. Note that this only appears to be the case with the RED pads. Orange and Blue pads seem to be okay.

J504
08-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Are you using the 6 or 5 inch pads?

Evan.J
08-17-2013, 08:37 PM
I will have to try my red waxing pad. Like you said I have never had any issue with the orange pad.

I wonder if the Velcro is different on the red compared to the other ones.

pukapants
08-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Warning to All:

LC Hydro Red pads are not stout enough to use with Rupes 21. I've had them skip and rip off the backing during polishing 4 times now. Note that this only appears to be the case with the RED pads. Orange and Blue pads seem to be okay.

Yes, I agree! I had this happen to me a few weeks ago. Mine blew out from the center and I had crumbs of red foam all over the place! I'll still use LC Hydro reds, just not with my Rupes 21.

Harry Da Hamster
08-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Well that sucks! I just ordered three of each Hydrotech. Same problem with the Rupes 15?

Evan.J
08-17-2013, 08:47 PM
On a note I only have used the red pad on a standard DA

TundraPower
08-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I will have to try my red waxing pad. Like you said I have never had any issue with the orange pad.

I wonder if the Velcro is different on the red compared to the other ones.

Very well could be different velcro and/or adhesive, never thought of that. I can tell you it took me about 7 tries to get the wrong end of the cigarette lit after the pad flew off this afternoon.

RaskyR1
08-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I've been using the crimson LC Hydro pads on the LHR21 since last November...just finished a car with them today actually. I've not had any issues.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/Rupes.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TundraPower
08-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Well that sucks! I just ordered three of each Hydrotech. Same problem with the Rupes 15?

Never had this issue with the Rupes 15 or the Rupes 4.

Honestly I think the throw of the 21 is just too much for anything other than Rupes pads. Every try to get a Rupes pad off of a 21? I'm not Superman but I'm not a weakling either. Just saying.........

SonOfOC
08-18-2013, 12:38 AM
The Rupes 21 is definitely tough on foam pads. The big throw is not kind to old pads, especially on speed 5 or 6.

The trick for me, is to lift the Rupes 21 off the paint 2-3 seconds before it comes to a dead stop. This especially helpful if you have the KB washer mod.

Normally you would let the Rupes come to a complete stop before taking it off the paint. If you do this, the Rupes will slow down then the pad will catch the paint and make it do a wobble before it completely stops. The throw is so big that this last second wobble will rip pads that are not in great shape.

Lastly, too much downward pressure on the Rupes is bad on pads. It has such big throw that very little pressure is ever needed.