PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time deciding on what to go with

Subaruski
08-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone, as the title says I'm having a rough time figuring out what products to get. I literally have nothing at the moment ( I know it's sad) . I have a car with a dark pearl/metallic paint, so I don't know if that changes what I would need. Any advice would be great . I have already looked at a lot of the helpful posts/topics on here. Theirs just so many options its almost scary. Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

grego33
08-17-2013, 02:34 PM
I understand where you're coming from. Maybe start by stating your goals and that would help get you some recommendations.

Subaruski
08-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Well it's my dd so I want to make it look it's best . I don't mind putting the work in although ill probably stick to hand application products for now. I would like to see the metallic flakes in the paint pop. I'm new to this so I don't really know what else to want haha.

IAtegeler
08-17-2013, 04:07 PM
First place I would start is getting the products for a proper washing and clay. So 2 buckets with grit gaurds and a good shampoo. Then from there if you are wanting to stay with hand polishing for now I would look into a product like Poorboys black hole glaze. Follow that with some collinite 845 for a great shine AND protection!

I would also get a good tire and trim dressing to give the car a finished look. Black Onyx and Optibond tire gel are two great ones. Oh and dont cheap out on towels and get some good cobra towels for drying adn wax removal.

Doyle4281
08-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Hey man, literally in the same situation, black metallic car, and want to properly maintain the finish. I am the type that over researches everything, however it seems that the detailing market is far more complicated than I anticipated. This may be magnified by the fact that I recently made a purchase through Chemical Guys. I don't know if its great marketing or do they really have 10 products that do the same thing. I recommend looking into the Chemical Guys "Best of the Best" kit, as it appears to cover everything you need aside from polishing. Either that or look through the forums and get the general opinion of what works from regular dudes. Its tough to go by the detailed "product review" style write ups, as free products may sway a true opinion, as lets be honest, how much can you really see from a picture online. The chat between these pro's is very valuable, and seems to be the best gauge of what really works. Again, I am completely green at this too, but it is quite amazing how much you can transform a car with some elbow grease. Good luck

Chemical Guys HOL_107 - The Best of the Best Complete Car Care Kit (28 Items) (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_HOL_107_Complete_Car_Care_Kit_p/hol_107.htm)

af90
08-17-2013, 04:14 PM
What do you currently have and what are your goals? Is this going to be only for your vehicle or multiples?

Doyle4281
08-17-2013, 04:37 PM
What do you currently have and what are your goals? Is this going to be only for your vehicle or multiples?

Forgive me if I am jacking this thread, but I do not have enough posts to start my own. This is what I have ordered so far......

Chemical Guys All Clean+ Citrus Based APC - 16 oz
Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish - 16 oz
Chemical Guys GlossWorkz Shampoo - 128 oz
Chemical Guys HYBRID V7 - Optical Select High - 16 oz
Chemical Guys Signature Series Glass Cleaner - 16 oz
Chemical Guys Silk Shine Dressing & Protectant - 16 oz
Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer - 16 oz
DI Accessories Fine Grade Clay - 100 g
DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt with thumb
DI Packages Microfiber Sampler Kit
Grit Guard Grit Guard Insert - BLUE
Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge
Lake Country Red Foam Applicator Pad
PC 7424xp polisher w/ orange,white,grey pads

Subaruski
08-17-2013, 06:57 PM
No problem it's nice to see I'm not alone haha

KillaCam
08-17-2013, 07:31 PM
First place I would start is getting the products for a proper washing and clay. So 2 buckets with grit gaurds and a good shampoo. Then from there if you are wanting to stay with hand polishing for now I would look into a product like Poorboys black hole glaze. Follow that with some collinite 845 for a great shine AND protection!

I would also get a good tire and trim dressing to give the car a finished look. Black Onyx and Optibond tire gel are two great ones. Oh and dont cheap out on towels and get some good cobra towels for drying adn wax removal.

Good advice here. Get your wash and drying technique down first. Once you covered those bases look into some polishes and compounds as well as sealants and waxes.