PDA

View Full Version : clay bar and work questions

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
08-17-2013, 01:59 PM
I have a clay bar kit from meguiars, right now im running low on the bar and lubricant. How would I get the best value clay and lubricant. Im thinking water and a bit of olive oil. Or just water. Also what is the recommended clay bar I buy?

goodinblack
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Oil and water dont mix right?

I use wash soap and distilled water.

Car was soap does tend to break the clay up faster. Imo

sproketser
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Take some QD mate .

af90
08-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Nanoskin towel, uww.

Bill1234
08-17-2013, 02:10 PM
would water work good, and how should I go about getting the clay bars?

Pureshine
08-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Nanoskin wash mitt best thing I've bought in a long time. You get about 45-50 uses out of it and much faster than clay.

NewNickel
08-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Could also get the nanoskin pads for a DA. Did an entire cargo van today with the coarse pad on the 3401 and used only water. Glide from the nanoskin folks works pretty well and lasts at recommended dilution.

Bill1234
08-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-fine-grade.html) what grade would I need. I would want something as close as the standard claybar you get from the kits

HateSwirls
08-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Hair conditioner in a spray bottle, mild but yet gives you a lot of lube.
It's cheap and I know first hand it works because I've used this method in the pass several time.

inDetail
08-17-2013, 06:35 PM
If your content staying with clay. Buy a name brand for the grade you need for the biggest bar at the cheapest price. All clay sold in the US is made by the same company. The only differences are color.
For Lube I use Gary Deans Infinite Use Detail Juice. You can also use Ultima WW+. They both are good. ( I prefer Gary's. I have a thing for helping out small business owners.) Both have ridiculous dilution ratios and have multitude of uses other then clay lube and a QD.

Pureshine
08-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Could also get the nanoskin pads for a DA. Did an entire cargo van today with the coarse pad on the 3401 and used only water. Glide from the nanoskin folks works pretty well and lasts at recommended dilution.

You should never just water when using any form of claying product. Your just asking for trouble and lots of marring.

HateSwirls
08-17-2013, 07:39 PM
:iagree: totally.

You should never just water when using any form of claying product. Your just asking for trouble and lots of marring.

NewNickel
08-17-2013, 09:47 PM

One would think so, but the nano pads seemed to like dihydrogen oxide just fine. I could see where my results with no marring for an entire van could seem like an anomaly or maybe just contrary to marketing, but they are just that, results.

Pureshine
08-17-2013, 11:31 PM
One would think so, but the nano pads seemed to like dihydrogen oxide just fine. I could see where my results with no marring for an entire van could seem like an anomaly or maybe just contrary to marketing, but they are just that, results.

I would never take a chance with my customers cars ever! The manufacture even tells you to use plenty of detail spray. As a professional detailer doing things the right way is key and not taking chance with other peoples cars.

Directions
1. Thoroughly wash vehicle free of dust, sand, and dirt.
2. Mist sufficient detail spray or clay lubricant onto the surface evenly. (on this I would suggest the more the better)
3. Polish the surface with dual action orbital polisher using light pressure (Low Speed - we have found speed 1-2 on the Porter Cable to work well and speed 1 on a Griots Orbital Polisher works well.)
4. Wipe off residue and move on to compound and polishing or even go straight to your last step.

Important tips:
- Make sure you break the pad in first on the windshield or glass. What we like to do is on the first use or in general start with the glass first then move on to the paint.
- Sufficient lubrication is crucial to the AUTOSCRUB application.
- DO NOT use water
- DO NOT use with rotary polisher.

NewNickel
08-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Good thing I own that mthr*#$* then. :xyxthumbs: