PDA

View Full Version : My car is getting resprayed

Pages : [1] 2

dubdaze
08-16-2013, 07:10 PM
This is my 1st post on AGO!

My Audi just got keyed this week, its going in for a respray next week.

The Hood, trunk, all 4 doors, both front fenders, and both rear quarter panels have severe key damage!!

Insurance adjuster estimated $3100 to re-paint.

The adjuster even commented on how "smooth" my paint is with NO orange peel at ALL.

The bodyshop im using is good, and im talking directly with the service manager on any concerns i have.

What im trying to ask is, while they are re-painting it should i ask for anything in particular?

Maybe extra clear coat?
Extra attention to orange peel?

Ive never had a car painted and i want it to come out looking as good as it was before, maybe even better, and deffinatly do not want any future problems.

Here is my car before it got keyed:

All the picture are before i even learned how to properly wash and do paint correction.

and the color changes dramatically in different light

The color is Ocean Blue Pearl

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7102/7126994531_d174aef082_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6575302051_845920ed45_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6565501997_1f40fb5c0c_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6569630469_7fa864587e_b.jpg

The Guz
08-16-2013, 07:19 PM
I can't answer your question but that's a sharp looking car and color.

Rayaz
08-16-2013, 07:34 PM
With a respray, you're going to have a lot more clear than factory. The key thing über sucks and there is a special place for people who do that. Welcome to AGO. Post some pics when you get it straightened out.

hernandez.art13
08-16-2013, 07:56 PM
You can ask them you want the orange peel to match the pre stock look. Also tell them you don't want fish eyes or dirt or runs.

I believe, they are supposed to restore your car back to it's stock look, But I could be wrong...

I am wondering if they'll be able to achieve a Hologram free finish? And ask them not to wax your car.

And you don't want a glaze used, to hide the Holograms.

But...

If they do leave holograms. Then, they'll just keep buffing away trying to remove them. They might succeed but they'll keep cutting your CC by buffing.

I wonder if you can ask for a smooth true mirror finish? (Zero orange peel?) (Who knows)

It's pretty simple to do IME.

The car looked beautiful prior

Either way good luck and I'll let others chime in

jmfp
08-16-2013, 09:03 PM
They should provide you with a finish exactly like you had before. Audi's generally have good orange peel free paint. That is what you should get back.

Ask if they are going to remove bumpers, mirrors, and moldings before they paint. A lot of shops just tape around those areas. You want the paint to go into those areas, not just up to.

I would request that they flat block after it is shot. I see a ton of panels that have been repainted and have had no sanding or have just been buzzed with a DA. The paint needs to be blocked down to get the best finish possible.

Check down low on panels that have been painted. Some shops only sand down half way or less.

Bring some IPA and wipe it down at the shop. Also bring a brinkmann light or something powerful. Look it over carefully inside and outside. Most body shops cannot polish hologram free. It is also common for them to leave sanding marks & dirt nibs in the paint.

They might look at you like you're crazy, but they are getting paid good $ to do the job. Check all other surfaces for over spray(including wheels, tires, and windows).

Another area to pay close attention to is around all edges. Its very common for people to burn edges and just let it go.

It may sound like a lot to look for and may sound very negative, but I've been a detailer in a body shop. I have just seen way too much shady stuff to not be skeptical.

I hope you are dealing with a good shop. Many places depend on hack work or absolute fraud to make their bottom line as fat as possible.

Harry Da Hamster
08-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Be sure to have them remove all trim instead of just masking around them. Most insurance companies will allow the additional expense of removing trim, lights, wheel liners, and grill. Ask both the insurance adjuster and the body shop. Nothing worse than over spray.

hernandez.art13
08-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Yeah I agree with jmfp, a lot of shops skip the lower side of the car.

I have been a body shop Detailer as well...

KillaCam
08-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Jmfp covered all the bases I would say. Some good advice in this thread.

Pureshine
08-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Most body shops cut corners cause insurance doesn't pay them the same as for mechanics. Insurance only pays $50 for body work unlike Mechanics pay of $95 hour.

dubdaze
08-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Dropped the car off yesterday at the bodyshop. they said it should be done by friday.

I will update when they are done.

rmagnus
08-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Dropped the car off yesterday at the bodyshop. they said it should be done by friday.

I will update when they are done.

Your car looks amazing. I hope it goes well. Some good advice in this thread.

Reputable paint shops usually give a life time warranty but check and see what they give you and get it in writing. If you have problems 6-12 months down the road you want them to take responsibility and fix it.

swanicyouth
08-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Just wondering, about what's the ballpark price of getting a whole car repainted if its doesn't need any body work and your getting the same as the factory color (exterior only). I'm guessing 4k for a decent paint job, nothing custom.

Superman0440
08-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Check for orange peel

dubdaze
08-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Insurance estimated mine at $3100, that's without the roof, and front and rear bumpers. So probably around 4k for FULL respray with no damage?

erichaley
08-20-2013, 06:06 PM
It's a good thing the insurance adjuster mentioned the lack of orange peel. The point of insurance is to get you back to where you were before the damage happened. No more, no less.

In your case, you had a car free of orange peel, which the adjuster confirmed, so that's what you should get back. Don't accept anything less.