PDA

View Full Version : PSI for gas pressure washer

KS_Detailing
08-16-2013, 10:00 AM
What is a safe but effective psi to wash a car? I was thinking around 1500 psi? Im using a craftsman w/ honda motor pressure washer.

zmcgovern45
08-16-2013, 10:50 AM
If you are going to go with a lower PSI unit like that, why not get electric?

The gas machines are great for heavy duty cleaning like power washing a driveway or entire house, but you typically want a higher PSI for units meant for that IMO.

1500-2000 PSI is great for car washing... I have a Karcher X-Series 2000PSI electric pressure washer... love it. It is quiet, small, and works great.

Just my $0.02

mfrickman
08-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Depending on the amount of usage you plan on getting out of it, electric may be for you.

I use a 2300 psi gas PW with a 40° fan pattern for my business and love the results. Of course with any PW, common sense plays a huge roll. Don't use the PW to clean the car but just to pre-rinse and rinse. Trying to use a higher PSI flow of water to clean anything off the vehicle opens the door of opportunity to mess something up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

allenk4
08-16-2013, 11:33 AM
What is the typical pressure at a coin-op car wash?

Does the Karcher X Series require that the wand be detached before you roll up the hose for storage?

Looks like it can stay attached...."Built-In Pressurized Hose Reel
•Keeps hose from kinking & twisting, can be used with unit running."

Karcher K5.740 - X Series 2000 PSI (Electric-Cold Water) Pressure Washer (http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Karcher-K5.740-Pressure-Washer/p6276.html)

Is $289 with free shipping a good deal?

zmcgovern45
08-16-2013, 12:15 PM
I got mine for $268 with free 2 day shipping on Amazon (amazon prime member)... you can also save some money and get the 1800PSI x-series machine for $239 if you want.

I always disconnect the want from the hose for storage. Don't see why you couldn't leave it attached if you wanted to? It is a simple quick disconnect fitting, takes 2 seconds to attach and detach.

KS_Detailing
08-17-2013, 06:51 AM
do you use the electric pressure washer for your business or just personal use? Never heard of Karcher, how is the reliability? How effective is it rinsing a car off and getting some hard stuff stuck on the surface or in the jambs? I already have the craftsman. I purchased it recently. I wanted to pressure wash the garage floor and driveway to make a nice clean work space but for $250 I wouldn't mind an electric for indoor (garage) use during the colder months. I prefer not filling up and storing gas.

allenk4
08-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Watched the Karcher Video on pressurewashersdirect; looks like a nice machine. Unhooking the wand does look simple

I get good results at the coin-op on high pressure soap, followed by high pressure rinse. I hope to mimic these results; so I want to make sure I have similar PSI.

Does anyone know what the coin-op pressure is?

Thanks

KS_Detailing
08-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I was reading the manual for my pressure washer, it says not to use a hose over 50 ft long. Is this true? I bought a 100 ft hose...

feslope
08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know what the coin-op pressure is?

ThanksYes, typically 11-1300 psi at 3-4 gallons per minute.