PDA

View Full Version : Just corrected my black car. Best practices to avoid putting scratches or swirls back?

Spiney
08-16-2013, 12:06 AM
I have a 96 SVT Cobra, black. In my opinion it scratches easily. I detailed it for a show last weekend. I have another this weekend. The car is lightly dusty with some bugs from traveling.

What is the best way to clean it without reintroducing scratches and swirl marks.

After I corrected it using Meg's DA MF pink fluid with MF pad for correction and LC white pad with M205 for polish. I then wiped down with 20% IPA and gave it 2 coats of UPG+ sealant.

Should I foam it with a foaming wand, rinse, and blow dry total no touch?

Then I was going to give it another coat of UPG+ for the show and buff it up with my purple Cobra MF towels. If I pick up anything on the 10 miles to the show then use my Ultima QD for touch up.

I have in my Arsenal Collonite 845. Would it be better appearance and protection wise to use that as an LSP rather than a 3rd coat of the UPG+ ?

Or just for extra protection to use the Collonite just on the front fascia and maybe rocker panels?

How does this sound? Open to any other suggestions. The car is not a DD. It's a sunny day fun car that we put on about 3500-4500 miles per year. Spends most days in the garage.

One last question is UPG+ a good product for Chrome wheels? Up until now I've been using Meg's Ultra Chrome Polish, which looks great, but doesn't seem to last long.

Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Legumes
08-16-2013, 01:45 AM
If I had a black car that "scratches easily," I would opti-coat it after a correction.

BlackHawk
08-16-2013, 03:21 AM
Foaming and rinsing isn't going to get it all clean. You gotta actually wash it.

Take your time and remember top to bottom. When drying try to flood with a loose hose and then blow dry. It's what I do.