PDA

View Full Version : Race Glaze brushes

Pages : [1] 2

BradsDetailing
08-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Bought my first set of brushes for detailing interiors and took some of the forum member's suggestions and bought the 5 pack of Race Glaze brushes for ~$30.

Used them for the first time today and I have to say I am pretty disappointed.

They work fine for dust and dry work but once you get them wet they become fanned and frayed fast and will become useless or need a trim after 2 uses.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r678/bradmbonville/IMAG0404_zps20ea74cd.jpg

You can see which 2 I've sued so far.

The 2nd from the left was used for the interior, dash, cup holders etc with some opc. The far right was used for the engine as well with some opc.

I have no issue using these dry but after getting them wet they are almost useless because of the lack of density they now have.

Wondering if any has any input or other recommendations.

erichaley
08-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Damn, I just ordered some...

Audios S6
08-15-2013, 08:44 PM
I go to the art store and buy hogs hair paint brushes. You can get a wide variety of sizes.

BlackHawk
08-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Wow thats some pretty quick wear on those brushes. Im sure they still work decent, but i can see your frustration. One use and its that bad :/ maybe in the future you should try the Auto Finesse brush set. It looks top notch and its got long bristles.

A-train
08-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I had a Swissvax wheel brush do that over time. Place a rubber band around the base of the brush hair to firm it up and leave it there while in use. Sometimes I will add rubber bands to my Adams Wheel brush if I want a little firmer agitation.

Pureshine
08-15-2013, 10:52 PM
I have the Auto Finesse ones very well made.

BradsDetailing
08-16-2013, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the input.

The bristles are too soft and weak that even with a rubber band around it they would keep going back to this.

Very frustrated. They are still usable, to a point. I was looking for something more dense and that would stay put. These basically break at the base of the brush, fan outward and stay that way, like it's straw almost.

Haven't even used them under any hard pressure. Just light to normal, nothing serious. Thinking about asking fro a refund but I'm not one to do so on an iffy thing such as this.

sproketser
08-16-2013, 06:47 AM
Thanx for sharing , I thought of buyng the kit , but now I guess I wont .

Kyle_Elantra
08-16-2013, 09:50 AM
I had the same experience last week. I did my interior and while cleaning the seat tracks, some grease got on one of the brushes. It looked identical to yours.

I cleaned it a second time, this time drying it with a twist tie loosely around the end of the bristles to help it keep its shape. It worked, but I don't know how quickly the bristles will fan out again when I use it next.

swanicyouth
08-16-2013, 10:54 AM
I've been using the same set of RG brushes for over a year and I love them. I wonder if what your calling "density of the bristles", I would call "pliability". Maybe my brushes are different, but they are pretty dense.

Brush over a year old:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/16/usysujyg.jpg

The bristles are hair, so they don't stand strait up and down like nylon, but they don't stay bent either.

I'm surprised your not happy with these brushes.

BradsDetailing
08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Yours look a lot better then mine.

I read another review on amazon on the brush set that had the same issue. Maybe they changed out the bristles? Do you get yours wet?

Besides fanning out so much they worked perfect.

Kyle_Elantra
08-19-2013, 10:29 PM
The other Amazon review was mine lol.

BradsDetailing
08-19-2013, 10:33 PM
I want to like them, but not for $30.

Hopefully some auto finesse ones will turn out better

erichaley
08-20-2013, 07:27 AM
I want to like them, but not for $30.

But for $20, maybe...

I think they're nice brushes, but I haven't used mine much yet.

The Wheel Woolies brushes like they might do a better job with wet work.

BradsDetailing
08-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Maybe for $20

But they are loosing that dense point which I like because it gets the cracks and crevices and puts more oomph into what I'm rubbing at.

Looking at getting some $8, with shipping, brushes off amazon that have good review and look like the auto finesse ones. I'll make a review and post it here when I get them.