PDA

View Full Version : Detailer needed in S.E. PA/ N. DE – experience with BMW Jet Black paint a plus

Angus
08-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Just got back from the dentist – nice guy – he recently bought a used jet black BMW 335i. Since he knows the care I take with my sapphire black metallic 335i he ask for advice on what could be done about the condition of his paint. From 50ft away I could see the swirls, scratches, holograms – the paint is a total mess and needs full correction stat. I’ve read BMW jet black paint can be difficult to work with, and the car’s current condition is more then I would be comfortable taking on. If anyone could suggest a reputable detailer in the greater West Chester, PA/Wilmington, DE area I’ll be happy to send his business their way.
Thanks!

zmcgovern45
08-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Go for it yourself in exchange for free lifetime dental work! :)

It might be difficult, but it is not impossible to work with. The biggest challenge is finishing down well because it is a soft paint.

Arm yourself with a good finishing polish like SF4500 and you'll make it out alive.

swanicyouth
08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm in that area, and my BMW is black (BSM, not JB) - but I'm not really for hire. Tuscarora Dave is around here some place. I'm sure you will get a lot of responses.

Angus
08-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Go for it yourself in exchange for free lifetime dental work! :)

It might be difficult, but it is not impossible to work with. The biggest challenge is finishing down well because it is a soft paint.

Arm yourself with a good finishing polish like SF4500 and you'll make it out alive.

Ha! I offered to try and correct it myself in trade for the cost of the crown work I was in for. He didn't quite jump at the offer...

Good tip on the finishing polish. The first thing I though of was Menzerna's products - Smacks results on his jet black BMW speaks to their effectiveness.

Angus
08-15-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm in that area, and my BMW is black (BSM, not JB) - but I'm not really for hire. Tuscarora Dave is around here some place. I'm sure you will get a lot of responses.

Funny you should comment so quickly - I almost PM'd you for ideas but then remembered you have a BSM as well. Thanks for the Tuscarora Dave suggestion - I'll see where he is located.

Beautiful E85 by the way.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Pack it up and send it my way. Lol.

If you are going to use some product, Menzerna works exceptionally well on black BMW paint.

Angus
08-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Pack it up and send it my way. Lol.

If you are going to use some product, Menzerna works exceptionally well on black BMW paint.

Believe me, had he taken on my crown for a correction offer I'd be PM'ing you for advice. The paint is such a mess. You stopping over in Dover on your way to Germany? His office is only about an hour from there... :cruisin:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-15-2013, 01:26 PM
I am stopping in Baltimore for a night on Sunday the 15th of September.

swanicyouth
08-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Menzerna (Wolfgang) is what I use as well. Keep in mind though, all BMWs are using the same clear coat, which is the surface that's actually being polished. There is no "soft" clear coat for JB.

I'm not sure why people say JB is so "soft", because it should be as susceptible to marring/finishing as any other BMW color. When I went to the BMW factory at Spartanburg SC they toured you through the painting area. Not actually where the cars where getting painted, but it was all visible through glass.

I started asking the guide questions about the paint. He actually was pretty knowledgeable. He said all colors get the same clear coat at that plant. However, the primer is different for whites and another color (reds?).

I think the think is with JB the faintest of defects just show up, so you have to be on your toes.

Anyway, not to hijack your thread. Presidential Detail (Lancaster) isn't too far and Dr Oldz is around too (Hazelton). I don't know what D.O. calls his company.

swexlin
08-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Just got back from the dentist – nice guy – he recently bought a used jet black BMW 335i. Since he knows the care I take with my sapphire black metallic 335i he ask for advice on what could be done about the condition of his paint. From 50ft away I could see the swirls, scratches, holograms – the paint is a total mess and needs full correction stat. I’ve read BMW jet black paint can be difficult to work with, and the car’s current condition is more then I would be comfortable taking on. If anyone could suggest a reputable detailer in the greater West Chester, PA/Wilmington, DE area I’ll be happy to send his business their way.
Thanks!

Oakes Detailing on Westtown Road, in West Chester. Alot of the guys at our C&C (Fcars and Pcars use him), Been at his shop many time. And Nick Oakes comes to our C&C as well. Every Saturday from 8-10, year round, at the Dilworthtown Starbucks, at Dilworthtown Road and 202. Stop on by. I'm usually there in my black Viper, or my yellow 07 SRT8 Superbee

Angus
08-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Menzerna (Wolfgang) is what I use as well. Keep in mind though, all BMWs are using the same clear coat, which is the surface that's actually being polished. There is no "soft" clear coat for JB.

I'm not sure why people say JB is so "soft", because it should be as susceptible to marring/finishing as any other BMW color. When I went to the BMW factory at Spartanburg SC they toured you through the painting area. Not actually where the cars where getting painted, but it was all visible through glass.

I started asking the guide questions about the paint. He actually was pretty knowledgeable. He said all colors get the same clear coat at that plant. However, the primer is different for whites and another color (reds?).

I think the think is with JB the faintest of defects just show up, so you have to be on your toes.

Anyway, not to hijack your thread. Presidential Detail (Lancaster) isn't too far and Dr Oldz is arou too (Hazelton). I don't know what D.O. calls his company.

Thanks for the clear coat info - very interesting. I also wasn't aware you could take tours of the Spartanburg, SC plant. I need to go!

Question: What are your feelings on sealants topped with a 'nuba on SBM? Any favorite combos?

Angus
08-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Oakes Detailing on Westtown Road, in West Chester. Alot of the guys at our C&C (Fcars and Pcars use him), Been at his shop many time. And Nick Oakes comes to our C&C as well. Every Saturday from 8-10, year round, at the Dilworthtown Starbucks, at Dilworthtown Road and 202. Stop on by. I'm usually there in my black Viper, or my yellow 07 SRT8 Superbee

Awesome suggestion, Nick Oats seems like a pro. I'll shoot my dentist a note to contact Nick ASAP. I may also tap Nick for a few spots I need wet sanded.

Thanks for the C&C info - hope to make it to one soon!