PDA

View Full Version : How to best clean LC Hydrotech pads??

cmoneyinc
08-15-2013, 11:40 AM
I used some LC Hydrotech flat pads yesterday for the first time. I must say, these pads seem to perform EXTREMELY well! However, I am very new to detailing and machine polishing and have only used one other type of pad before - Hex-Logic foam purchased from Chemical Guys - so I really don't have much to compare them to.

The one thing I did discover though is that they are WAY harder to clean than the hex-logic pads. I have a Grit Guard Pad Washer system, and even that didn't seem to get all the residue out of the Hydrotech pads. I realize that they are a different kind of foam composition than the hex-logic, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to efficiently clean Hydrotech pads both on-the-fly and after the job? (More so on-the-fly)

I will probably buy more pads so I can have the option of switching to a fresh pad while working, but would still like to know how to better clean them.

Thanks!:props:

The Pad Man
08-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Fill a bucket with warm water and pad cleaning solution. Agitate by hand under water to circulate the cleaning solution through foam. Rinse with clean water, squeeze between a towel, let dry.

cmoneyinc
08-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks Pad Man. What about for on-the-fly cleaning?

af90
08-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Definitely don't use a brush, mine got destroyed by it after just a few seconds.

Eric M.
08-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I spray mine with apc let them sit for a minute and then use a brush to work the surface and rinse. I find they clean easier then regular foam pads.

cmoneyinc
08-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Eric, that certainly was not my experience with them. Once again, I've only had hex-logic pads and they came perfectly clean with the pad washer or even by hand after a few sprays of Chemical Guys Pad Cleaner (which I would spray on them undiluted) and rinsing with water. The Hydrotechs didn't respond well to either method.

Eric M.
08-15-2013, 05:33 PM
What polish u using? I use menzerna and use those pads every week. Odd you're having such problems.

SlowWRX
08-15-2013, 05:59 PM
pressure washer. 5-10 seconds perfectly clean

ScottB
08-15-2013, 06:57 PM
DP Pad Rejuvinator .... just mix some up !

CEE DOG
08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
carefully, lol

cmoneyinc
08-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Eric, I was using Menzerna also. FG400, SF4500 and Power Lock.

Gen9Rolla
08-15-2013, 09:22 PM
I clean mine with the XMT pad cleaner, and use a pad brush for on-the-fly cleaning, and both methods have worked great for me

Meticulous-Detail
08-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks Pad Man. What about for on-the-fly cleaning?

Terry cloth towels work great. Place towel in one hand and then place pad/da on top, turn on da and put on speed 3 for a few seconds, repeat if necessary. Works great.

cmoneyinc
08-15-2013, 10:00 PM
I also have the XMT Pad cleaner spray (I think it came with the Pad Washer System) and a pad brush. Tried both and neither worked that great. I'm sure I'm probably doin something wrong.

I did not try the terry towel on-the-fly method yet though, so maybe I'll try that next time.