PDA

View Full Version : shop vac filter

danieledwards12
08-15-2013, 09:31 AM
do I need to remove the filter out of the shop vac before I use it to extract water?

lunchboxmunchy
08-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Yes. The filter is used to prevent the debris that you previously sucked up from entering the motor and blowing it up. When vacuuming up water and other liquids, take it out and get to work! When done, pop it back in.

Keep Calm & Chive On

zmcgovern45
08-15-2013, 10:06 AM
My particular model came with a different type of filter when using it as a "wet vac"... it is more or less just a foam sleeve instead of the traditional paper filter.

FUNX650
08-15-2013, 10:09 AM
do I need to remove the filter out of the shop vac before I use it to extract water?
Your Shop-Vac doesn't have a cartridge-filter that's suitable for either wet-or-dry pickup?

If not: Time to get one, or perhaps, even two of 'em.

:)

Bob

danieledwards12
08-15-2013, 11:12 AM
ok, lunchboxmuncy, so from what you are saying, I need to dump all of my "dry" material out of my tub at the same time I remove the filter correct?

bugeye
08-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Yes. If the dry dirt is not removed prior to water/moisture removal, then the previously dry will become a wet mass. Empty the vac can first.

KennyS
08-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Yes. The filter is used to prevent the debris that you previously sucked up from entering the motor and blowing it up. When vacuuming up water and other liquids, take it out and get to work! When done, pop it back in.

Keep Calm & Chive On

It wouldn't blow up the motor, it will just shoot everything out of the back and damage the impeller :xyxthumbs:

lunchboxmunchy
08-16-2013, 02:51 AM
It wouldn't blow up the motor, it will just shoot everything out of the back and damage the impeller :xyxthumbs:

You're probably right. I have a Craftsman vacuum. It's awesome. If you turn it on without the filter, it'll suck all of the debris into the motor.

Keep Calm & Chive On