PDA

View Full Version : Microfibers feeling prickly

Pages : [1] 2

kevincwelch
08-14-2013, 08:26 PM
I have noticed that most of my short nap microfibers are feeling rather prickly to the touch if I drag them across my hand. I can't tell if this is just my dry skin or if the microfibers do this when they're not getting cleaned enough.

All my microfibers that touch paint get washed together (separate from my interior/jamb/wheel microfibers. Typically wash them with either Charlie's soap, Arm & Hammer or Tide. Dried on low heat without fabric softeners or sheets.

Microfiber rejuvinator? Toss and get new ones? Just my skin? I'm worried that they might be scratching the car.

Pureshine
08-14-2013, 08:44 PM
I was all my MF towels that touch paint with MF soap in hot water and air dry.

Eric@CherryOnTop
08-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Rub them on your face. Seriously... If your hands are rough your face should give a much better indication.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 4

goodinblack
08-14-2013, 08:59 PM
I use my bum. Hahahahha

Reason I stick with foam. My MF cloths seem that way after washing too.

POWERMAN_
08-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Reason I stick with foam.

Uh?

richy
08-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Another consideration is maybe you have wax or polish residue in them that isn't coming out in the wash. Throw them in a pot of boiling water and let them simmer for several minutes. That will remove any product left in them.

Gen9Rolla
08-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Like the others said, try using different parts of your body,wash with a dedicated microfiber cleaner, and if you still don't feel safe with them, its a good excuse for more microfibers!:xyxthumbs:

Harry Da Hamster
08-14-2013, 10:10 PM
It's the micro-filaments grabbing onto the friction ridges of your fingers. As another member mentioned, rub it against your face.

R Swanson
08-15-2013, 01:28 AM
Rub on a cd you don't care about. See if it scratches it

GenesisCoupe
08-15-2013, 05:59 AM
I spray some CG Pad Rejuvinator Spray onto each MF before i use it. It works.

kevincwelch
08-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Good tips.

I rubbed one on my face, and it felt much less prickly. I will probably go back to Charlies Soap and pick up some MF rejuvinator. Are there any known issues using the MF rejuvinators with HE washers?

Forgot about the CD test. I'll see if this causes any issues.

swanicyouth
08-15-2013, 08:03 AM
I have noticed that most of my short nap microfibers are feeling rather prickly to the touch if I drag them across my hand. I can't tell if this is just my dry skin or if the microfibers do this when they're not getting cleaned enough.

All my microfibers that touch paint get washed together (separate from my interior/jamb/wheel microfibers. Typically wash them with either Charlie's soap, Arm & Hammer or Tide. Dried on low heat without fabric softeners or sheets.

Microfiber rejuvinator? Toss and get new ones? Just my skin? I'm worried that they might be scratching the car.

They are supposed to feel this way. Its not "prickly", its the micro filaments grabbing small defects in your skin like they would dirt.

Actually, its the sign of a good towel IMO.

statusdetailing
08-15-2013, 10:07 AM
If they have heat damage from a hot dryer or are getting old they can start feeling prickly. I retire them to wheels or interior at that point.

wdmaccord
08-15-2013, 10:26 AM
I've felt this too when my hands are really dry. Especially straight out of the dryer when they have a fresh static charge. If they all feel the same way out of the dryer, then I probably wouldn't be too concerned. You could try wetting your hands and drying them with one of the towels to see if they still feel soft that way. If one towel was doing this and the others weren't, I would be concerned about that one towel.

One thing I do when I take my towels out of the dryer one-by-one is lay them flat on top of the washer, thick nap side up. I run my hand across each towel to see if my hands detect any junk, like a small twig or something that may have made it through the wash. I also visually inspect for issues also. (credit to Glen E for suggesting this in another thread)

kevincwelch
08-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Yeah... Some definitely feel prickly right out of the drier. I'm very careful to keep the heat low when drying.

Put some lotion on my hands to help with the dry skin, and the towels were definitely less prickly.

Sent via Tapatalk.