PDA

View Full Version : Received my Collinite 845 wax today!

Pages : [1] 2

Herrmann22
08-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Man, does this stuff appear thick! I opened it up and almost thought it was bad because it feels so thick in the bottle. I think I read somewhere in another post people warm it up first.

Anyway, can't wait to use this stuff!

:cheers:

stiffdogg06
08-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Man, does this stuff appear thick! I opened it up and almost thought it was bad because it feels so thick in the bottle. I think I read somewhere in another post people warm it up first.

Anyway, can't wait to use this stuff!

:cheers:

Nice to see another from Ohio. If you have The Andersons around your area, they sell #845 for ~$10

Here is the thread for heating up #845.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

cleanmycorolla
08-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Just leave it th un outside for 5 min then shake it good. It'll be nice and fluid.

Herrmann22
08-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Nice to see another from Ohio. If you have The Andersons around your area, they sell #845 for ~$10

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

I live near Cincinnati. Haven't heard of Andersons. I got it off eBay. Free shipping. $16

Thanks for the info!

lyodbraun
08-14-2013, 05:56 PM
I got mine at the Andersons paid 14 for it. .. In maumee Ohio. ..it works good but I noticed the paint is not very slick after applying it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

MarkD51
08-14-2013, 06:11 PM
I got mine at the Andersons paid 14 for it. .. In maumee Ohio. ..it works good but I noticed the paint is not very slick after applying it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Then I would say your prep was lacking.

I've used 845, 476, Fleetwax, 915, Fiberglass Wax (all from Collinite) and have literally had the towel fall off the car all by itself.

The magical "baggie". Let that magical baggie test be your friend, and your guide. If that towel didn't fall off the hood after 845, this tells me you lacked in claying, and polishing beforehand.

Of course slick can be a relative term. Is 845 as slick as DP Paint Coating? In a word, no.
Mark

umana2482
08-14-2013, 06:27 PM
I also received my 845 last Thursday and it was very thick. Couldn't even shake it. But I'm a mobile detail guy and the next day when I went to get it; it had already soften up into a thick liquid form. I bought it cause of all the positive reviews on the forums.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

KillaCam
08-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Put it in a bucket of hot water or let it sit in the sun for 15 min. Then put it in a different bottle that has a self cleaning cap.

jimjc
08-14-2013, 07:12 PM
You are really going to like the 845. I`ve been using it and have worked out a few things to make it easier. I went to Michaels, it`s a national hobby type shop and purchased 6 squeez flip top 2 oz. plastic bottles [ about $5 for all]. These are small and very easy to handle. Warm the 845 up in a pan of warm water for a few minutes shake well and fill 2 -2 oz. bottles. You will probably get 2 full waxes out of 1 bottle. Anyway the small bottle is super easy to use, put a few drops on your applicator and slip the bottle into your pocket it will stay warm until you use it again. Doing this is so much better than using a big bottle. If you use about 1/2 bottle it will be just about right for the whole car, never use to much 845, the small bottle tells you exactly if you are using to much. 845 iss good stuff. :props:

Herrmann22
08-14-2013, 07:18 PM
There is a Michael's right up the street. Great idea! I will do that. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

rmagnus
08-14-2013, 07:28 PM
You are really going to like the 845. I`ve been using it and have worked out a few things to make it easier. I went to Michaels, it`s a national hobby type shop and purchased 6 squeez flip top 2 oz. plastic bottles [ about $5 for all]. These are small and very easy to handle. Warm the 845 up in a pan of warm water for a few minutes shake well and fill 2 -2 oz. bottles. You will probably get 2 full waxes out of 1 bottle. Anyway the small bottle is super easy to use, put a few drops on your applicator and slip the bottle into your pocket it will stay warm until you use it again. Doing this is so much better than using a big bottle. If you use about 1/2 bottle it will be just about right for the whole car, never use to much 845, the small bottle tells you exactly if you are using to much. 845 iss good stuff. :props:

I like the small bottle idea. I've used the Meguiars bottles with the self cleaning tip. All my liquid polishes and compounds are in the same containers. Makes finding what I need easier.

For all those new to 845 "thin to win". I'll guarantee you will use too much in the begining. Once you prime the pad add 2 drops per panel max.

In reality after priming the pad and adding 2 drops you can do one side of the car easily. The stuff goes a long way. Beads like crazy and lasts a long time. Once you warm it up in hot water you most likely will not need to do it again.

main pft
08-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Some things I do w/ my 845

1-replaced the cap w/ a flip top cap
2-put it in hot water and sit in sun while washing/prepping the car
3-put a marble in it to help "move" it around when shaking
4-take foam applicator & kiss a window to see if I still have some 845 on the foam applicator (stuff goes a looooong way - as "rmagnus" just said above)

help these tips help

PS: I might have to try "jimjc's" idea of using the small 2oz bottles :)

BuckeyeR/T
08-15-2013, 07:59 AM

Up off of Sawmill Rd?

Klasse Act
08-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Yeah like others have said, leave it out in the sun or run some hot water over the bottle and/or let it sit in a hot pot of water.

As far as application, once its warmed up, I put the pad over the opening, flip it upside down and use the little spot left on the pad to go as long as it let's me. Thin is in for sure and I've applied it to the entire car and then went back to remove, no issues doing this either. I've also done the apply to the entire car and then remove when using Collinite #915 as well. This was all done in our underground parking spot for the record.

Welcome to the world of Collinite!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

goldenlight
08-24-2013, 04:23 PM
The only con I see with this wax is the smell. Just make sure you don't spill it all over the place and you will be fine.

After my prep work and applying colinite 845 on a silver car, I didn't really noticed a difference in looks. Oh well as long as it protects who cares.

Maybe I have to wait 12 hours before making a judgement.

Will add another coat tomorrow and see what happens:buffing: