PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 840 or Clay

master_photog
08-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Hello again!

I'm ready to do my mid summer CLEANING of my single stage white 2012 Tundra and had a question regarding paint cleaner/prep prior to waxing with Collinite's 476S.

I believe I have a couple options according to some of the forum topics and manufacturer instructions on paint preparation.

After washing and drying, I have a couple products that I have on hand and was curious what would be your suggestion, or is this a matter of preference, or do these two products serve two separate purposes?

I have the collinite 840 pre wax cleaner, and I also have Griot's Garage Paint Cleaning Clay. Does anyone like one over the other or is this more of a trial and see for myself type scenario?

Here are the links of the two products that I have:

Collinite Sapphire PreWax Cleaner #840 (http://www.autogeek.net/sapphire-prewax-cleaner-840.html)

Griot's Garage Paint Cleaning Clay, Griots Detailing Clay Bar, Auto Detailing Clay, Griots Garage Clay Bar (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-detailing-clay.html)

Thanks!!

master_photog
08-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Hey all, I've started applying the 840 and this stuff is not coming off with a hand towel. I'm applying a THIN coat with my DA on a medium speed with a blue applicator sponge pad. When I apply to a small area and wipe immediately, I still have a light haze or residue left over that absolutely will not wipe clean. So, I decided to apply the Collinite 476s on top of the hazy 840 with the DA and it all wipes nice a clean.

Just curious why the 840 is not wanting to come off after applying per the instructions.

AutowerxDetailing
08-16-2013, 08:27 PM
I've never worked with it but if it is difficult to wipe off and you are following the directions try using a little less product. If that's not the issue it may just be difficult to work with and require something like diluted IPA to help remove it prior to your LSP.

Toonces
08-18-2013, 07:54 AM
A quote from the Collonite 840 page: "*Note: Collinite Liquid Sapphire PreWax Cleaner #840 is formulated for single stage, enamel, and lacquer paint finishes. For clear coat paint, use Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion"

Your Tundra presumably has a clear coat finish. I've heard 840 can leave a haze on clear coat finishes. Perhaps worth looking into.

FWIW, I don't consider clay and cleaner to be an either/or proposition. In most cases where paint needs to be clayed it would also benefit from a good cleaning.

HTH,

///Mike

master_photog
08-19-2013, 04:08 AM
This particular Tundra is a single stage white paint. Their white Tundra's are the only single stage in their fleet.