PDA

View Full Version : peeled old sticker on car paint now the color is different

nabisco shine
08-14-2013, 03:22 AM
i tried to buff it ect and still it has the outline its 2 different colors how do i get rid of it?

BradsDetailing
08-14-2013, 03:43 AM
Pics?

Is the paint color different? If so then it's going to stay that way. Basically the sticker acted as a uv protectant for that one spot and maintained the original shade of color on the car while everything else faded. I'm assuming the rest of the car was not maintained with a wax or sealant

nabisco shine
08-14-2013, 03:48 AM
Pics?

Is the paint color different? If so then it's going to stay that way. Basically the sticker acted as a uv protectant for that one spot and maintained the original shade of color on the car while everything else faded. I'm assuming the rest of the car was not maintained with a wax or sealant
no pics sorry and ya the paint color is different. so what should i say to my client?

BradsDetailing
08-14-2013, 04:08 AM
Exactly what I said. The sticker blocked the sun for so long that the rest of the paint naturally faded and the sticker protected that one spot. The paint under the clear is what is faded, you cant change that besides getting the car re-painted

beamerstrumpet
08-14-2013, 04:16 AM
Or tell them to find another bumper sticker. My wife just doesn't get it but now all I do is point at her car we gave our kid. Itold her to put one back in same spot.

lunchboxmunchy
08-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Exactly what I said. The sticker blocked the sun for so long that the rest of the paint naturally faded and the sticker protected that one spot. The paint under the clear is what is faded, you cant change that besides getting the car re-painted

Well said! :dblthumb2:
:iagree:

Harry Da Hamster
08-14-2013, 05:02 AM
You know, this happened to me once a looooong time ago when i removed the emblems on my hoopty when i was in college. I wet sanded and buffed and it fixed the problem.

BradsDetailing
08-14-2013, 05:17 AM
You can't wet sand and buff the oil and pigment back into the paint

FUNX650
08-14-2013, 11:42 AM
See if a couple of doses of: Meguiar's #7's T.S.-oils...will penetrate the affected, surrounding CC...
CC that which should be quite porous at this stage of its expected service-life.

Can't promise the client it will do great wonders (and eat cucumbers)...
But it won't hurt to at least try...IMHO.

:)

Bob

Harry Da Hamster
08-14-2013, 12:50 PM
You can't wet sand and buff the oil and pigment back into the paint
That's true but you have the possibility to make it dramatically better than before. Most of the color difference is probably wax residue and clear coat imperfections.

BradsDetailing
08-14-2013, 02:34 PM
BUt seeing as how tghe rest of the paint has faded and this area has not, its highly unlikely a wax was ever on the car in the first place. Not to put it down, just trying to give the best info to the op as possible.

I don't see how any type of polish will fade paint