PDA

View Full Version : Taking my car in for service! Nervous!!

Pages : [1] 2

hoyt66
08-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Have to take my car in for some simple cosmetic issues. Soooo nervous. I removed the

custom engine tune and made up my "Don't wash car" signs. Going to be a long day at

work.

mavin
08-13-2013, 06:49 PM
I just had my car in, put up my signs. The service managed made sure there were no issues, but I think they thought I was a bit nuts :p

TH3M B0N3Z
08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Man, I'd die if some service dept. detail team washed my car. I'd go postal.

hoyt66
08-13-2013, 07:02 PM
I have a broken vent bezel in the dash and my brake light housing in the headliner is coming down a little. It's driving me crazy thinking about everyone climbing around in there. It's tough being an autogeek

alko
08-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Chet...my TSX has only been to the dealer twice and each time I thought I was going to have anxiety attack. The last time it was in the shop it had to sit there over the weekend O_o I was pissed because I called the dude in the beginning of the week so that he could order the parts ahead of time. Of course he didn't and my appointment was on a Thursday. So that afternoon he called me and said to come in and get a loaner. I threw up in my mouth alittle bit.

hoyt66
08-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Chet...my TSX has only been to the dealer twice and each time I thought I was going to have anxiety attack. The last time it was in the shop it had to sit there over the weekend O_o I was pissed because I called the dude in the beginning of the week so that he could order the parts ahead of time. Of course he didn't and my appointment was on a Thursday. So that afternoon he called me and said to come in and get a loaner. I threw up in my mouth alittle bit.

Hey Alko what's going on?
Yeah I'm having anxiety all week. Almost want to back out but I need these things takin care of. Hopefully or row goes fast

alko
08-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Not much going on here Chet...just working and working. Had to push back from the keyboard for awhile, but glad to be back here on AGO! Good to see you old friend!

swanicyouth
08-13-2013, 08:35 PM
I have a few "tips" I always follow:

1. Take pictures of everything. All 4 wheels (especially if your getting tires mounted) and all exterior panels and bumpers.

2. Always WAIT, never "drop off" unless its completely unavoidable. I think people are less likely to go joy riding in your car if your milling around the building.

3. Build a relationship with a GOOD dealer. Yes, a dealer. Not Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube. Stick to the same place so they know how picky you are before you arrive. Break them in gently.

4. Always inspect your car on the lot before getting your keys or paying. If there is an issue, don't accept the car back.

5. Of course, do not wash signs are required.

hoyt66
08-14-2013, 06:02 AM

1. Take pictures of everything. All 4 wheels (especially if your getting tires mounted) and all exterior panels and bumpers.

2. Always WAIT, never "drop off" unless its completely unavoidable. I think people are less likely to go joy riding in your car if your milling around the building.

3. Build a relationship with a GOOD dealer. Yes, a dealer. Not Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube. Stick to the same place so they know how picky you are before you arrive. Break them in gently.

4. Always inspect your car on the lot before getting your keys or paying. If there is an issue, don't accept the car back.

Good advice. So much for breaking them in easy about how anal I am about the car. When I pulled in with my " don't wash" signs in place the service guy sharply said ( before I could say a word) " don't worry! We won't wash your car" I returned an unanswered " I'm sorry your day is off to a poor start bud"
Lol some ppl!

BradsDetailing
08-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Lol, too funny

I would highly recommend taking pics for anyone worried about something happening to their ride. I have a great manager at my local Honda who remembers every scratch on my car when I bring it in but not everyone is like that.

Ganiy
08-14-2013, 06:22 AM

These are very important advices and it is better that every car owner follow them. It is better to have acquaintance with the professionals you are sured in order not to happen without your car.

jayshut11
08-14-2013, 06:28 AM
I just dropped my Jeep off for service last night with the standard AGO elements: "Do Not Wash Signs", pictures, and direct instructions for the service department.

I looked into the dealer's detail area yesterday to see if they had improved their methods since my last check. All I needed to see was the "drying towel" laying on the ground for my questions to be answered.

I also like taking pictures of the instrument cluster so I can easily compare the miles, MPG readout, fuel level, etc. when the vehicle is returned. Of course, my dash cam is always running when it's in for service as well, and the dealer knows it. :D

Mike Phillips
08-14-2013, 06:48 AM
New guy moved in next door, he has a new black Camaro. I saw it in the sun last night when I got off work and the entire car is completely filled with holograms from a rotary buffer.

Just about 15 minutes ago as I was leaving I saw him outside walking his dog, being the "Car Guy" I am I couldn't help but introduce myself, compliment his cool Camaro and then ask him who details it? He said,

No one

I said, really? He went on to say he's done nothing to it since he bought it new from the dealership and the dealership is the only that's ever worked on it.

I tried last night to get a picture of the swirls and the sun was just going down behind some trees so I was just seconds too late to really capture all of the UGLY. Here's what I got though...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Swirled_Out_Camaro.jpg

This is a cropped out, full size section of the resized photo above and you can see the hologram lines coming off where the sun is reflecting. 3 seconds ago this fender was completely lit up with holograms ALL OVER IT!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Swirled_Out_Camaroc.jpg

It's hard for us on this forum to even fathom a Chevrolet Dealership in the year 2013 allowing this kind of damage to be inflicted into the paint of any car let along a black Camaro but it happens all the time.

After speaking to the guy for just a minute or two he came off to me as being totally clueless about the swirls and the way his car looked. In fact, until I pointed the swirls out I pretty sure he thought his car looked both normal and good. So I ended the conversation as my instincts told me any further conversation would be a waste of time.

Big pictures is this... you have every right to be concerned about taking your car to anyone to have it worked on.

If you are NOT PROACTIVE to take the necessary steps to prevent the above kind of absolutely reckless damage to be inflicted into your car's THIN paint then chances are too good the damage will occur. The reason for this is dealerships are really only about sales and my guess is most of the people working there from the top down don't know or care about "your" car's finish.

Good luck...

:)

jayshut11
08-14-2013, 07:00 AM
After speaking to the guy for just a minute or two he came off to me as being totally clueless about the swirls and the way his car looked. In fact, until I pointed the swirls out I pretty sure he thought his car looked both normal and good. So I ended the conversation as my instincts told me any further conversation would be a waste of time.

I had a similar experience with a guy in a parking lot. He had a brand new, gorgeous black CLS 550 covered in swirls, but it was "clean." After complimenting him on his car, I asked him how often he details it, and he said he takes it through the automatic car wash twice a week. :pc7424:

He then went on to say that he only buys automatic transmissions so he can use his phone while he drives...:rolleyes:

mikesal57
08-14-2013, 07:07 AM
Its funny this thread popped up..
Yesterday I was in the shop getting new brakes ,NYS Inspection , and just a check of other things..
I called the day before to make sure all the parts were ordered so that I didn't have to leave it....
All went fine for the 2 hr wait...

I go to my regular guy cause I cant afford the dealer prices ...
He was concerned that it was a good amount I was going to spend , so he came out and asked me if I want to wait till my next service to do the back brakes...

I said no, no, no ...lets do it all

Couldn't go through the nervousness again...

Anyway, except for a few smudges on the edge of the hood...it was OK

Washing it this morning

Mike