PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Question

DeviousDetail
08-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Have a client that wants his exhaust pipes polished. They are in good shape and he said that he sanded them with 400 Grit to clean them up.

How much should I charge for the polishing is my question?

I have never heard of someone using sand paper on exhaust pipes. I have also been told to use steel wool.

Thanks for the input.

Evan.J
08-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Have a client that wants his exhaust pipes polished. They are in good shape and he said that he sanded them with 400 Grit to clean them up.

How much should I charge for the polishing is my question?

I have never heard of someone using sand paper on exhaust pipes. I have also been told to use steel wool.

Thanks for the input.

Neither have I. Sand exhaust tips doesn't sound right so I would thing he meant steel wool but I would ask him to make sure.

As far as a price goes it all depends on how bad they are and all they steps you will have to take.

Have you seen them yourself?

DeviousDetail
08-13-2013, 05:16 PM
No I have not seen them myself gave him my number to send me some pics will probably be stopping by his house sometime in the next couple of days to give him a better quote, but wanted to gather a little bit more information first.

zmcgovern45
08-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Check them out yourself before quoting a price.

If it is a scenario where he messed them up and you don't know how long it will take to restore, just tell him your hourly rate and see how many hours he wants you to devote to it to try to get them back to perfect.

That is what I would do anyway.

Andr3wilson
08-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Sanding aluminum with 400 grit is actually quite common on stuff that is heavily tarnished or oxidized. You just have to polish it out after with bars and a wheel.

If you are polishing sanding marks out of aluminum for the first time, it is going to take you a while plus the intricacies of the pipes (small and round) are going to be tough. I would only recommend it if you remove the tips/unit from the car and machine polish it after.

You can use steel wool. I would recommend that with metal polish or P21S polishing soap. Worst case scenario is you just spend some elbow grease and high cut metal polish with a towel to get the job done.

DeviousDetail
08-13-2013, 05:29 PM
The tips are off the car so they will be easy to work with. I will keep you guys updated on everything and let you know the route that I take.

Andr3wilson
08-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Just an idea, you could mount them to something using a grip or clamp and use a power ball on a drill.

rmagnus
08-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Just thinkink out loud ... How much are replacement tips? Aren't they usually chrome vs aluminum?

Guess it depends on what shape they are really in and if you have the right equipment for the job.