PDA

View Full Version : Pad Priming

cmoneyinc
08-12-2013, 10:27 PM
I've read some threads on this, but just wanted final clarification. I know some of you prime your foam pads with product, but is it equally effective to use a pad conditioner spray? (I currently have CG Polishing Pad Conditioner in my detailing arsenal). Is one method better than the other or is it just personal preference? It seems that the pad conditioner spray would be quicker and easier, but wondering if its the "best" option.

Thanks guys

wdmaccord
08-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Either way is fine. I actually mist my dry pad one squirt with conditioner and let it soak it up backing side down for about 5 minutes. I still prime with product also, but not as much as if I was priming with just product alone.

Steelman
08-12-2013, 10:41 PM
cmoneyinc I also would like to know if there is a corect way ot priming a foam pad. I have read some just spray Quick Detaler on there foam pads. I prime mine with a thin coat of product. Am I right or wrong....Hmmm ??

wdmaccord
08-12-2013, 10:56 PM
cmoneyinc I also would like to know if there is a corect way ot priming a foam pad. I have read some just spray Quick Detaler on there foam pads. I prime mine with a thin coat of product. Am I right or wrong....Hmmm ??

You don't need a dedicated pad conditioner as you can use something like BF Rinseless Wash diluted to clay lube/pad conditioner specs (about 1:15 I believe).

thebamboo23
08-12-2013, 11:33 PM
i thought you werent suppose to mist the pad/product with qd/anything else as it will effect the actual compound/product working time (or something of that nature)

wdmaccord
08-14-2013, 09:51 AM
i thought you werent suppose to mist the pad/product with qd/anything else as it will effect the actual compound/product working time (or something of that nature)

I don't think the product manufacturers would recommend it if it caused problems. Check out BF WD Rinseless Wash on the AG store site. Scroll down towards the bottom and you will see the recommended dilution for pad priming. Keep in mind, you aren't saturating the pad. One "mist" is all you need. I do like to run the DA naked on 1 or 2 for a few seconds to shake out any excess moisture before I apply the product. I've never had any issues.

parttimer
09-06-2013, 04:14 PM
I spritz all my pads before use.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

inDetail
09-06-2013, 06:27 PM
I give one spray of CG pad primer. Add five peas of the product I'm going to use put speed on 2 put it on the paint and run in cross hatch pattern until the pad is evenly covered with product.

rmagnus
09-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Don't complicate something so simple. Wipe product over the entire face of the pad then add 3 or 4 pea size drops of working product.

Put the polisher on a slow speed and spread out the product on your panel work area. Bump the speed up and complete your section passes.

Those of you who like to spritz the pad with QD or conditioner go for it not really needed but polish away.