PDA

View Full Version : How often can you apply an AIO?

Pages : [1] 2

Detailed Josh
08-12-2013, 09:55 PM
I was wondering how often/safely you can apply an AIO? I know you can only do actual multi-stage compounding, polishing, and dedicated waxing (which I know is not the abrasive step of these 3) so many times as you remove the clearcoat film thickness each time and risk hazing or worse burning through. So what about AIO's? I know you can use a less aggressive pad, but by its nature isn't it still abrading the surface regardless? For your own vehicle, or more importantly eventually a business point if you have a repeat customer would you want to eventually switch to a dedicated wax product for doing one steps if you do AIO's to the vehicle? For example I like Meguiars D151. Would it be wise to use say the Synthetic Wax D156 eventually, or am I being paranoid thinking the D151 will eventually take down the clearcoat after repeated uses over and over even with a less (grey or higher?) pad?

Flash Gordon
08-12-2013, 10:10 PM
You will get burned out polishing paint before you will do any damage. I've known folks that polish their cars once a month, but eventually they burn out

rmagnus
08-12-2013, 11:04 PM
For my DD I wax it every 3 months. I use Col 845 mostly. I usually do a light polish with a finish pad and M205 before the wax. Every week I wash mostly with ONRWW toped with V07, sometimes twice a week depending on the weather. Maybe once a month I'll 2 bucket wash with pressure washer, leaf blower to dry followed with V07.

Desertnate
08-13-2013, 08:17 AM
I think it depends on what type of AIO you are using.

If the AIO has abrassives in it, I'd only use it a couple of times a year. I'm a little paranoid that way and own cars for a long time. I want the paint to hold out as long as possible.

If the AIO is only a chemical cleaner like Klasse (and others I don't know about) I wouldn't hesitate to use it a little more often.

That said, if you top an AIO with a good wax/sealant you shouldn't have to do it more than a couple of times a year anyway...but then I guess that defeats the purpose of an AIO for some.

zmcgovern45
08-13-2013, 08:31 AM
You will get burned out polishing paint before you will do any damage. I've known folks that polish their cars once a month, but eventually they burn out

^This

silverfox
08-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Your paint will tell you when its time.

AIOs all depend on how you prepared the surface before applying, environmental conditions (garage or no), how you wash, area of the country, etc.

Try to resist the temptation to re-applying it before you have to.

mikesal57
08-13-2013, 10:49 AM
I think it depends on what type of AIO you are using.

If the AIO has abrassives in it, I'd only use it a couple of times a year. I'm a little paranoid that way and own cars for a long time. I want the paint to hold out as long as possible.

If the AIO is only a chemical cleaner like Klasse (and others I don't know about) I wouldn't hesitate to use it a little more often.

That said, if you top an AIO with a good wax/sealant you shouldn't have to do it more than a couple of times a year anyway...but then I guess that defeats the purpose of an AIO for some.

Would Blackfire be considered an abrasive AIO?

kevincwelch
08-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Would Blackfire be considered an abrasive AIO?

Blackfire Total Polish & Seal? It's said to remove swirls and oxidation, so I would say yes.

KillaCam
08-13-2013, 11:55 AM
I would say you could apply an AIO that has more cleaners than abrasives as much as you want. Products like Duragloss 501, Klasse All In One, and things of that nature aren't abrading the surface. They are using chemicals to clean the surface instead of taking off clear coat.

Meguiars D151 is more of a heavy polish and is taking off clear coat. I wouldn't use that all the time if I were you. Stick with the AIO's that have cleaners instead of abrasives.

nubaseal
08-13-2013, 12:19 PM
I think a machine correction should be done once a year and the LSP should get one through 6 months. Then, you can use a chemical paint cleaner or a pre wax cleaner depending on whether you are going to use a sealant or a wax. Zaino AIO, Auto Finnesse Tough Prep, Duragloss 501, Optimum Poli Seal, Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite are some very good non abrasive paint cleaners and leave something behind for the LSP to bond better.

Detailed Josh
08-17-2013, 11:52 AM
So what are you guys doing to your own cars, and those who do it as a business for customers car, after each wash if more frequent like weekly/monthly? Just re-applying just a dedicated LSP wax/sealant and "refreshing" it?

Good to know about a difference in the type of cleaning for AIO's, because that is what I was afraid of was the physical type of cleaning over and over risking burning through.

KillaCam
08-17-2013, 08:16 PM
So what are you guys doing to your own cars, and those who do it as a business for customers car, after each wash if more frequent like weekly/monthly? Just re-applying just a dedicated LSP wax/sealant and "refreshing" it?

Good to know about a difference in the type of cleaning for AIO's, because that is what I was afraid of was the physical type of cleaning over and over risking burning through.

I reapply lsp when beading and sheeting starts to diminish. After every two or three washes I will apply a spray wax like duragloss aquawax after a wash to boost the lsp and increase shine and slickness.

HateSwirls
08-17-2013, 08:38 PM
I use Griot's Spray Wax each time I hand wash my car, keeps it look nice without using polishes, wax, etc.

Works for me

statusdetailing
08-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Ive gone through a gallon of d151. Im always stunned at how well it corrects and finishes down for an aio. Its very pad dependent. On a polishing pad it won't hardly cut at all. On a microfiber pad it will cut almost as hard as m105 with no dust. I love this product.

That said. I would not use it with an aggressive pad more than one time per year and that's pushing it.

My philosophy is polish as little and infrequently as possible. This especially applies to daily drivers.

My wife drives a 97 jeep grand Cherokee. Probably one of the nicest condition Cherokees on the road. Its not perfect though. There's some light rids and swirls.

I know I could probably perfect it,but at what cost? The thing is 16 years old. Do I really want to be constantly taking paint off it to keep it looking perfect? Nope!

I've got way off point...gees I'm done. I need sleep haha

Its important to educate your clients on proper washing techniques. That way you shouldn't have to do much more than a light polish with m205 every year or so.

HateSwirls
08-18-2013, 09:59 AM
I have a 96' GMC truck that I bought new, I drive it a 100 miles each day,sits out in the sun , etc.
224k on it.
With that said I have to polish it about every three months because it takes a beating, the clear is still good, in fact still looks new.
All done with my DA, white pad and m205.
IMHO one could polish more than once a year without coming close to damaging the CC

Here is how it looks now.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/20130714_174543_zps6f3a53f9.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/20130714_174948_zpsd7d08264.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/20130714_174721_zpsd7d05fc6.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/20130714_174656_zpsa0cea922.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/20130714_174622_zps8a1a0417.jpg

It's all about how to you maintain your finish IMO
Not bad for 17 year old cc!