PDA

View Full Version : New guy with some pics

Pages : [1] 2

aaa247
06-10-2007, 01:01 AM
This is my new 08 Ford hybrid which was the main reason for joining AG. I received my new PC Menzerna Maximum Shine Kit, Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax, and Souveran Liquid Spray Wax on Friday so I couldn’t wait to try it all out.

First I washed it with DP then I used a clay bar from Mothers.

As you can see the reflection it’s pretty dull and this was before the clay.

Next I pulled in the garage and out of the sun to play with my new toy.

I think I put enough tape on (newbie)

Because the car is so new and very few scratches I started with Menzerna FP with a gray pad, moved on to Menzerna FG with the blue pad, sealed the paint with AIO, waited about an hour then applied the Souveran Paste Wax (very nice and smells good too) I detailed the reast of the car and finished up with the Souveran Liquid Spray Wax.

You may not be able to tell from the pictures but wow what a difference. I’m used to washing my old trucks with a cheap wash n wax and some old rags and thought that looked good. No comparison at all. The paintlooks deep, wet, and the metallic flakes really popped out. I’m happy, thanks a lot to AG and all the forum members for your help. :D

Here is my little beginners detailers kit, works great for me.

My next project is my dad’s Datsun roadster.

P.S. I'm new at posting pics so I hope this worksIm the MAN

klumzypinoy
06-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Wow you got a nice set up right there and you're very organized. I'm not organized :( hahah. Very nice job on your vehicle! Welcome to Autogeek

Nica
06-10-2007, 01:52 AM
First of all welcome to AutoGeek, now on to the job you did...wicked!

I really like the taping job you did, I did the exact same thing when I first started...I was in my garage measuring a 2x2 area and taping it off. That is wicked...well done.

Now this picture:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-university/1431d1181453154-new-guy-some-pics-feh8.jpg
Is very nice...I like your setup...very nice....I really like how you got the filters set up.

The vehicle looks really good, I see flakes poping...very nice.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Gary Sword
06-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Look very nice and flakey!

Truls
06-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Looks great, sweet set up

A tip: keep the detailing stuff away from the asphalt, Pads/MFs/wheelbrush/tape etc must not touch the ground, 1 chip can ruin your paint in a sec

But good to hear you ditch the rag,

And welcome to AGol

ehuth1
06-10-2007, 07:17 AM
I really like the roll aroudn setup! Very creative with the velcro on the lid of the toolbox to hold the pads. You got me thinkin now! :)

Nice job on the Ford.

alban61
06-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Your Escape looks great! Reflective and plenty of flakes popping! I like your neat set-up too!

aaa247
06-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Thank you all for your comments!

Truls, you're right about the asphalt. I wasn't really thinking about it but luckily I laid all my mf towels on top of an old one I keep of the paint, but I will be more careful in the future. Thanks.

Nica, after all that taping I'm just going to handout gift cards for Christmas!

Klumzypinoy, I’m really not that organized it’s just new and I had to make it look good for the picture.:D

I had a lot of fun building my little detailing kit. I like to create and build things even thou they don’t always work. Thankfully this did. I just need some smaller spray bottles. The 32 oz ones take up a lot of room. I’ve searched the net and found some 16 oz, but you have to order a lot or they charge a small order fee of $10-15.00 extra. It would be AWSOME if AG could sell them (hint hint).

To be honest I had a lot of trouble with my PC. :mad: I almost felt like throwing it down the street. Good thing I’m not a violent person. :)I tried to follow the directions and the example in the video Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/po.html) I turned on the PC, applied a LITTLE pressure and it immediately bogged down, would not easily turn, and over heated to the point of smoking, and made a clicking noise.? I only used a 25ft extension cord so I don’t thing it’s a power issue. Needless to say I was not happy. I called AG for tech support, the rep said not to apply any pressure and it would work better. I tried again, and not only did I not apply pressure but I actually had to lift the PC up before the wheel would turn. The only way I could get the PC to work was to tilt it like I would a grinder. This problem may very well be operator error however I’m no stranger to power tools. I will take it to the closest PC certified repair shop for them to checkout. Even though the PC worked nothing like the video Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/po.html) it did help some, but very time consuming. Hopefully I’ll get this worked out. I can only imagine how much better the paint would have looked.

Have a great day everyone!Im the MAN

Tropicality
06-10-2007, 12:43 PM
The dollar store around here has alll kinds of different sized spray bottles, some 2 for $1, and I'm actually surprised at how good the spray nozzles are, they are the same as ones you get anywhere else for $3 each.. the one thing I cannot find however are clear plastic squeeze bottles for putting polishes in.

And I've never used a PC yet so I cannot help you there..

aaa247
06-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Checkout Freund Containers | Glass & Plastic Bottles, Jars, Metal Tins, Pumps, Lids (http://www.freundcontainer.com/search.asp_Q_viewall_E_1_A_t_E_c_A_c_E_36)

they have a descent selection but they charge extra for small orders.

bambo2888
06-10-2007, 02:18 PM
cool little setup, that's impressively organized and effective.

Dust2Glory
06-10-2007, 05:29 PM
You have to have some real patience to do something like... newbie or not. there's no way i would ever take them time to tape as much as you did. props to you. Why the tape on the actual hood??
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-university/1425d1181452971t-new-guy-some-pics-feh14.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-university/1425d1181452971-new-guy-some-pics-feh14.jpg)

Rafimos
06-10-2007, 06:17 PM
ive done the tape on the hood to help determine an exact 2x2 area to compare various products on a spare used hood

i figure it would also be pretty good for you to be able to compare how long to work whatever polish/compound etc ... good practice...

JBs
06-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Thank you all for your comments!

Truls, you're right about the asphalt. I wasn't really thinking about it but luckily I laid all my mf towels on top of an old one I keep of the paint, but I will be more careful in the future. Thanks.

Nica, after all that taping I'm just going to handout gift cards for Christmas!

Klumzypinoy, I’m really not that organized it’s just new and I had to make it look good for the picture.:D

I had a lot of fun building my little detailing kit. I like to create and build things even thou they don’t always work. Thankfully this did. I just need some smaller spray bottles. The 32 oz ones take up a lot of room. I’ve searched the net and found some 16 oz, but you have to order a lot or they charge a small order fee of $10-15.00 extra. It would be AWSOME if AG could sell them (hint hint).

To be honest I had a lot of trouble with my PC. :mad: I almost felt like throwing it down the street. Good thing I’m not a violent person. :)I tried to follow the directions and the example in the video Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/po.html) I turned on the PC, applied a LITTLE pressure and it immediately bogged down, would not easily turn, and over heated to the point of smoking, and made a clicking noise.? I only used a 25ft extension cord so I don’t thing it’s a power issue. Needless to say I was not happy. I called AG for tech support, the rep said not to apply any pressure and it would work better. I tried again, and not only did I not apply pressure but I actually had to lift the PC up before the wheel would turn. The only way I could get the PC to work was to tilt it like I would a grinder. This problem may very well be operator error however I’m no stranger to power tools. I will take it to the closest PC certified repair shop for them to checkout. Even though the PC worked nothing like the video Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/po.html) it did help some, but very time consuming. Hopefully I’ll get this worked out. I can only imagine how much better the paint would have looked.

Have a great day everyone!Im the MAN

you forgot to put in the washer between the pad and the motor lol. you basically have a very untamed (and weak) rotary. put that washer in!

(i made the same mistake when i first got the PC)

aaa247
06-10-2007, 09:28 PM
WOW! Thanks a lot JBs, that maks a lot of sense and you saved me a lot of time!!! Probable should have read the dirictions a little better.:D

By the way, nice BMW.