PDA

View Full Version : wipe down product

keepitclean
08-12-2013, 09:54 AM
I know this has been covered but my search skills are weak.

Prior to the sealant/wax application what's everyone using for a wipe down? I see where a 50/50 IPA mix is good. I've also see that a quick detail spray is good. Any preference on what works best??

Desertnate
08-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I would think the IPA would be the best bet.

I'd be careful with any type of QD as it could interfear with the wax/sealant bonding with the surface. An example would be Klasse Sealant Glaze. If I was to hit my vehicle with some of the carnauba based Meguires QD I have, the oils and waxes in that product would keep the Klasse from bonding.

Going with the IPA would leave the surface pretty clear of any surface products.

zmcgovern45
08-12-2013, 10:15 AM
The goal of this step in the process is to remove any remaining polishing residue/oils from the surface so that there is nothing to interfere with the sealant or wax or coating from bonding to the surface. In order to do this, you need to chemically strip the surface from any remaining residue. One of the most common products to use is IPA - it is cheap and effective, but can be dangerous if used at too high of a concentration. Here is a good article that breaks it down for you.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html

Another popular and very safe product is CarPro Eraser. It works very well, but the only down side is that it is rather expensive compared to IPA.

FUNX650
08-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Prior to the sealant/wax application what's everyone using for a wipe down? I see where a 50/50 IPA mix is good. I've also see that a quick detail spray is good. Any preference on what works best??
I just abide by the manufacturers of waxes and sealants directions/recommendations...They know their products best.

:)

Bob

c8n
08-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I just abide by the manufacturers of waxes and sealants directions/recommendations...They know their products best.

:)

Bob

+1

I know for Meg's, their products works well together. If you were using all Meg's, wipe down prior to a wax/sealant would be unnecessary.

cmoneyinc
08-12-2013, 03:42 PM
I just purchased Griot Garage's Pre-Wax Cleaner. Haven't used it yet, but it seems to be pretty straight forward and it comes ready to use.