PDA

View Full Version : Fossilized Decals

Desertnate
08-12-2013, 09:35 AM
In the process of bringing one of my cars "back to life" I've run across two decals that I cannot seem to get off the glass. I'm hoping folks here might be able to provide some suggestions. Here is what I'm up against.

Decal #1: Paper based manufacturer window decal on side window. It's fractured, rock hard, and I've only been successful in removing pieces of it. I've tried window cleaner, Goo Gone citrus based cleaner, and even a razor blade scraper with little to show for my efforts. Nothing appears to soften this sucker. Soaking the decal with the solvents/chemicals only partially softens the paper, but not enough to come lose.

Decal #2: Vinyl based parking sticker on rear window. I've tried the same chemical products as above and it only resulted in removing the paint/color from the decal, but I can't seem to get that vinyl base to come loose. I cannot use the scraper because it laps over the rear defroster wires and I don't want to run the risk of cutting/breaking those.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

tuscarora dave
08-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Have you tried warming those decals up with a hair dryer or a heat gun then scraping at them? Is the one that's over the defroster wires still in one piece or is it too all fractured into little pieces?

Desertnate
08-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Have you tried warming those decals up with a hair dryer or a heat gun then scraping at them? Is the one that's over the defroster wires still in one piece or is it too all fractured into little pieces?

The one on the defroster wires is still all on one piece. My attempts so far have only resulted in the coloring/paint coming off making it opaque.

I haven't tried a hair dryer, but the last attempt I made the car was sitting in direct sun and the glass was pretty warm already. Would it make a bigger difference for either?

tuscarora dave
08-12-2013, 10:18 AM
A hair dryer probably wouldn't but a heat gun directed right on the decal for short periods of time making sure not to over concentrate the heat so much that it melts the safety glass film in between the glass might help to enable you to get an edge peeled up with a fingernail then heat and peel a little at a time to get the decal off. You could probably use acetone or 3M adhesive remover to remove the adhesive remnants if you're successful in removing the decal in one piece.

As for the one on your side window, Does your razor blade scraper have a single edge blade it it? Is it a new blade? have you tried using the razor blade to remove just a little sliver off one edge at a time, rather than trying to remove the entire width of the decal in one swipe?

Shtexas
08-12-2013, 12:20 PM
I bought an old car and had to remove some ancient decals once. I soaked the decal in ipa then covered it with a thin piece of plastic like a grocery bag to slow down evaporation. I let it sit for 5-6 minutes and I was then able to scrape it off with a plastic razor.

Desertnate
08-12-2013, 02:00 PM
I'll look at a new scraper as I'm wondering if the blade just isn't sharp enough.

I like the covering and letting it soak idea. I'll give that a try. Since posting this I've also come across a suggestion of WD-40.

Between the IPA, Goo Gone, and WD-40, The paper one should come off. I'm still wondering how I can get up under that vinyl decal on the back window. I'll try some adhesive remover if I can soften it with some heat.

Harry Da Hamster
08-12-2013, 02:08 PM
I learned this when helping my friend re-tint my vehicle at his shop. Tint shops uses a steamer to make easy work of old dried up adhesive. He uses a cheap $25 laundry steamer and it works great.

Detailing by M
08-12-2013, 06:40 PM
well if a razor didn't do much and you have one on a defroster wire I'd go with heat and I mean a HEAT GUN, not a wimpy hair dryer.
Your working on glass so it can take SOME HEAT, without breaking.
Heat and scrape.

Also WD40 if you want a chemical. I've had great success with WD40.

mfrickman
08-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Heat gun or steam is the way to go. Patience is super important, like ^ said, glass can take plenty of heat so take your time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online