PDA

View Full Version : Festool Rotex 150FEQ

carguy
06-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey,anyone uses the festool rotex?. I use a DA polisher but my handle broke, read alot about them, very costly. Just need the pros and cons about this machine.
Feed back please :grouphug:

Jeffrey Juneau

Gary Sword
06-09-2007, 10:44 PM
I did consider getting one but I did not think it was worth the price. Ask Toto about it. I know he has one but I have not noticed any posts where he used it lately.

tod071
06-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I just finished a Black 4Runner with the Festool and love it! Unfortunately, it was a loaner and had to return it.

Pros: Very high speed orbital vs PC. pc6=Festool4 and it goes up to 6, about 6800opm. 7amps vs 3.7 on the pc, which means it does not bog down when applying pressure. If level 6 is not enough correction, switch it over to rotary at the flip of a switch and get up to 600rpm (some say 900, but I haven't used a rotary before, so i don't know).

Constant sound, no "clangy" metal sound like the pc. About the same weight as a pc. Detachable power cord. Able to use LC 6 1/2 pads if you already have them.

Cons: Runs pretty hot at rotary 6 speed. I actually melted the backing plate that came with it. If you need more correction than 600/900rpm rotary, you may need something else. Edge pads not compatible, although some adapter has been sighted.

Neutral: Proprietary backing plate. Very firm hook&loop backing. Sometimes hard to pull off the pad, but that could be a good or bad thing, depending how you look at it.

Thats just my observations. I have never used a rotary, so it was a pretty good learning tool. If I had a pc and rotary, I don't think i'd get the Festool. But if I needed to replace a broken pc, I'd get a Festool.

ScottB
06-10-2007, 08:54 AM
not enough of a difference to justify the cost currently. You could pick up a great RO and a great rotary for less than the Festool. At 250.00 they would likely move a bunch ...

Stittville Ed
06-10-2007, 09:19 AM
I looked at a Festool and I think you are paying alot for the vacuum part of the sander/polisher.
I think the main market for their line of tools are woodworkes. Their whole line of tools can be attached to a very nice vacuum system.

Might be a $250 tool if it didn't have all the vacuum part's/system.

Surfer
06-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Like Killer said, better off with a good RO and Rotary seperate. Heard quite a few stories of it melting plates in rotary mode, runs very hot.

Totoland Mach
06-10-2007, 04:57 PM
I still use my Rotex, but the Metabo has taken over the "workhorse" side of working on paint. The biggest use at the shop is: plastic body panels like bumpers, rockers, headlights, etc. I like the idea of random orbit and switching to rotary for added correction.

I've never run mine at speed 6, but it does get hot! The motor in that unit is 1-tuff-mutha. Almost impossible to bog it down.

Very expensive, but I don't regret the purchase at all.

Toto