PDA

View Full Version : Heating and cooling garage

silvermesa
08-11-2013, 02:24 PM
My friend is adding an additional single car garage onto his dwelling in Missouri. His home currently has a two car attached garage and he is adding on another bay to make it a 3 car garage. This home is in a subdivision and he is looking for a good solution to heat and cool it for detailing his car. He is a car guy so he wants this addition to be nice. He will probably have some custom flooring and paint and this will be his "man cave" of sorts.

Looking for ideas for possibly all in one units that might attach to the wall or ceiling that will heat and cool his 500 sq' single bay. Window units are not allowed in this subdivision.

All imput is appreciated as well as costs to install.

Paul Mitchell
08-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Look into a ductless heat pump system on the internet. It's possible his local electrical utility company has information on them.

HateSwirls
08-11-2013, 05:13 PM
IMO a window unit would work fine, that's what I have in my cave.
It heats and cools, try looking at Lowe's.
10.000 BTU is all he'd need.

inDetail
08-11-2013, 05:41 PM
You could use a window AC unit that would be more then enough for 500 square feet without obstructions like walls or partitions to interfere with air flow. My brother burns wood for the house in the winter he installed a propane unit in his basement for the kids play room and it works really well. No odor or anything and it keeps the kids playroom toasty. The other is to look at electric heat but that can be pricey.
Not sure how you feel about running propane in the garage with all those chemicals

silvermesa
08-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Look into a ductless heat pump system on the internet. It's possible his local electrical utility company has information on them.

I have read about a unit called a mini split?

EddieF
08-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Get some solar panels on the roof, they'll pay for themselves after a while.

ski2
08-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Window units are not allowed as the OP mentioned. Mitsubishi is the most well known spit system. Small wall mounted in the garage and small condeser must be outside somewhere. Very thin cables between the two. They are available with both heating and cooling. Even Home Depot has them--Ductless Mini Splits - Air Conditioners - Air Conditioners & Coolers - Heating, Venting & Cooling at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc4m1/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051)

BillE
08-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Have him have a discussion with a local heating/AC dealer.

Due to the (good) factor this will be new construction, a good HVAC contractor will be a BIG benefit.

OT: I jealous!

Bill

BlackHawk
08-12-2013, 08:00 AM
My dad has a little heater in his garage,electric, that's hung at the end of a wall. It's electric so there's a little smell to it, but man when it's freezing cold outside it sure as hell doesn't matter since its nice and warm inside :D