PDA

View Full Version : Mini Ultimate Wax review...

Pages : [1] 2

TH3M B0N3Z
08-11-2013, 01:16 PM
So I just tried Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax today and I'll ramble a bit on my thoughts about it.

Stuff smells pretty good, I guess that "enhances" the experience...? It spreads really easily, but I've noticed that this sealant nearly disappeared into the paint. Maybe because the paint is silver, but I've been able to see MPL and 3M with ease compared to ULW. Not that it really matters, just saying.

Upon removal after maybe 20 minutes of dry time, it buffed pretty easily, no streaking, but the paint didn't feel as slick as MPL or 3M when buffed. I recently clayed the paint within the past 3 or 4 weeks, so I skipped the claying process this time. I somewhat feel I should have clayed the paint once more.

After I buffed the entire car, I went around with D156 to pick up any missed residue and to kind of top the ULW. The bottle doesn't say anything about a specific cure time at all, so I just went for it.

I'll do a little follow up after I wash the car within another few days, I'm sure.

On a side note, I had about 4 stains in the clear coat on the hood. Couldn't believe that sh!t. Most of the stains were sap that I couldn't see. Silver paint is kind of difficult to inspect. I polished the entire hood with UP, tangerine pad, speed 6, got the burns right out. Had to do the hatch lid, too.

The Guz
08-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Good review. I enjoy using ULW. Keep us updated. D156 is a good product to use in between washes to keep ULW looking good.

sproketser
08-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanx for the review mate .

Harry Da Hamster
08-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the review. I was thinking about picking up a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Wax now that my BFWD and MPL are used up.

BTLew81
08-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Let it cure. I find it super slick.

TH3M B0N3Z
08-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I may even throw another coat on tomorrow. I always feel better when the paint has 2 full coats of sealant, lol. Once I used the D156 over the ULW, it became slicker.

BillE
08-12-2013, 07:05 AM
One thing about U-Wax, is it needs time to completely cure (cross-link). Over night is not unusual (for me).

During its' curing time, you will see some strange things going on. You'll notice streaks, blotchy areas, dullness, then when you look again they're gone.

First time I used it I thought "What the...!" But next morning, it was "WOW!"

Bill

TH3M B0N3Z
08-12-2013, 09:14 AM
One thing about U-Wax, is it needs time to completely cure (cross-link). Over night is not unusual (for me).

During its' curing time, you will see some strange things going on. You'll notice streaks, blotchy areas, dullness, then when you look again they're gone.

First time I used it I thought "What the...!" But next morning, it was "WOW!"

Bill

Oh. Well, thanks to the clear-cut directions on the bottle (sarcasm... there are none), I guess I didn't allow the sealant to cure properly.

yakky
08-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Yep, definitely gets slicker over time and stays that way, longer than anything out there. Most stuff loses its slickness after a few washes, not UW.

TH3M B0N3Z
08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Yep, definitely gets slicker over time and stays that way, longer than anything out there. Most stuff loses its slickness after a few washes, not UW.

That's good to hear. I could tell the paint was slicker today. Might give it a light wash tomorrow after work along with either another round of UW or just the D156.

Steelman
08-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Thank you for the review on the Ultimate Licquid.
I am going to try the Ultimate Paste Wax. I use Ultimate Spray Wax once or twice month and that dose a real nice job.
Has anyone used the Ultimate Paste Wax? I would like to hear some feedback on it.

BTLew81
08-13-2013, 12:20 AM
I'll be using the paste next. I get some streaks here and there with the liquid, and the paste is apparently a bit more dummy proof. I've heard a lot of great things about the paste. I think you will be impressed

BillE
08-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Not to discourage anyone from using U-Wax Paste, but the big thing nice about the liquid is that it DOESN'T stain the trim work. In fact I use it on the trim.

Bill

BTLew81
08-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Agreed on the liquid being good for trim. However, I am leaning toward trying the paste in order to stop the streaking. No matter what, I get some streaking.

TH3M B0N3Z
08-13-2013, 06:56 PM
I just got home from giving my car a good rinse and wipe down with D156... I seriously have never seen such fantastic water beading from a sealant. Keep in mind the Ultimate Wax was just applied this past Sunday morning, but the water was just dancing off the paint, running off in all directions, and fast. I did touch up the UW with D156 in the same day, but I've noticed the D156 beads water even better when teamed with the UW. I recently had 3M Peformance Finish/D156 on the paint and it didn't bead as well as the UW/D156 combo.

So far, I'm happy. Thrilled, to be honest. If the UW keeps working for me, I may just buy a few more kits, lol. You know how companies change up their products. Plus the UW is great on the plastic trim. No white residue, but I apply it kind of thin on the plastics.

Oh, and the water beads were really tight, too. Better than MPL and 3M, in my opinion.