PDA

View Full Version : storage for a garage

TurboToys
08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
read some of the threads so far and people seem to have been doing the same thing, either take your stuff inside during the winter, and hot summer days, or pray it stays good.

anyone here ever turn an old fridge into a sensitive products storage unit? i would assume that the insulation in the fridge would be good enough to keep everything at the upper end of the fridge's range, if you keep it in the highest setting (around 40-50 if it can get that high), you would be able to create a pretty decent temperature for a lot of materials to sit at.

but i wonder if just leaving the fridge off would help to keep things in a nice and low temp environment, use it as a nice temperature barrier container to the elements. that way you won't have to waste money on heating and cooling to keep the entire garage a good temp.

A-train
08-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I have a friend that does that and he leaves everything in the fridge year round. He puts it on a higher temp setting during the summer and off in the fall and winter months. Never had a problem with anything going bad.

TurboToys
08-11-2013, 05:22 PM
I have a friend that does that and he leaves everything in the fridge year round. He puts it on a higher temp setting during the summer and off in the fall and winter months. Never had a problem with anything going bad.

sound like a hell of a good idea then, recently going to be moving into my first house, and we have a washer dryer and fridge already.. so the ones currently inside will be going to the garage to become my "tools". i may have to do this to keep some of the more sensitive products good to go.

can anyone else reply if they have had success with just using a completely unpowered fridge as storage as the temperature inside will always be cooler in the summer and hotter in the winter than the exterior temps?