PDA

View Full Version : Product Review -- Meg's New Ultimate Quik Detailer

Pages : [1] 2

ScottB
06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1952_134315262

Product Offerings
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer bridges the gap between washing and waxing with a unique hydrophobic formula that repels water, withstands multiple car washes, and adds additional protection to the finish. Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer beads water relentlessly –wash after wash!

The Test: Water Resistance
After washing the SUV this evening, and using the leaf blower to blow the bulk of the water off the truck, it was time to introduce this qd'er to the slightly damp paint and wipe with a guzzler. While it provided the additional lubrication I like while drying, it was immediately apparent that it repels water as water streaked in areas where the guzzler could not consume it quick enough. Obviously this would work better on a dry vehicle, but proved quite quickly of one of its offerings.

Second Test: Gloss and Protection
Within minutes of using you could see a notable difference between panels in the look as the gloss took on the traditional sealant look. This product will quickly be compared to Aquawax and for good reason, while it does not work well with a damp car (Aquawaxs claim to fame in my opinion) it takes on that same shimmer immediately. A very light slickness was noted, but nothing I would write to the forum about specifically. After curing it did have a bit more slickness and no sticky-ness which might help with dust attraction over the coming week.

Third Test: Durability
This will be ongoing over the next several washes as possible. Again, I dont expect much from these type of products, they all seem to be designed to add pop and gloss between washings as more of a sacrificial offering. I have found none to really "protect" much longer and the look to drop off quickly with next wash, but all are easy to apply and remove. This product is like all others (Aquawax, Souveran Spray, original Crystal Mist, Fk425, Quikshine) in that it is a spray, and buff or wipe only type product.

Personal Thoughts

Scent

I would have thought this was NXT had the bottle not been so different. The smell is clearly that jujubee/keylime deal and slightly overwhelming. It is apparent as a flock of knats were all over the finish after use as if the truck was polenating the neighborhood. Nice, but overkill at least a bit.

Quik Detailer

This product should not really be considered a quick detailer. It is like most of the newer offerings in adding gloss and pop between washes. While it looks nice and adds a aura to the paint there was no cleaning ability to be seen. Light water spots may have been removed, but I would not grab this in wiping off buggies and birdie doo-doo.

Use

Extremely easy to use in a quick mist and wipe off type product. Has a light milky look so easy to see where sprayed. I did NOT particulary like the sprayer, as it is a mist sprayer and you have no control on how much is applied without several additional pumps. (one pump is not enough as vaporizes into the environment also) The product offered no streaking, while not in sunlight, it was a day above 90 with high humidity. Overuse saw no difference either in outcome.

All, in all, to me this is what Aquawax was meant to be. A coating to keep the sealant or wax under it alive and glowing. While not specifically designed for wet cars like Aquawax can be used, the water repellancy should be of a greater need aways. Under heavy rain (this is our season in Florida) water sitting on paint and then baked into the finish at extreme temps usually means waterspots and lots of polishing. My hope is that this product will remove the bulk of the water and reducing the work. As offered above, application is easy and would expect to reapply weekly after washing in less than 10 minutes.

In closing, I would offer to the professional detailer this product could be a way to hook those "wash only" clients. A quick wipedown before leaving with this product leaves enough of a glow and difference in outcome that they in all likelyhood would have thought you waxed also. I doubt the protection is adequate from a UV protection standpoint, but I suspect most of these clients only care about those cool little beads at first rain anyways.

Grading
I would give the initial grade of A- .... and thats alot coming from someone who is NOT a fan of Megs and usually quite critical of their hype and advanced offerings. I clearly thought first use was spot on with offering, and a tad above some other qd'er+ type products.

Gary Sword
06-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Nice review Scott!

dengood1
06-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I've used this as well and Scott nailed the review to a "t", including the trigger sprayer that Meg's use on it's products. I felt as if I was wasting a lot of product as it just "blew away" because the mist was so fine. I've since moved the product to another bottle with another sprayer and love it. I went through a rain storm two days ago and the car was dry as a bone when I arrived home and looked great. I did a test on my hood the day I got it and did 1/2 my hood with it. There was a huge difference in the water running off and beading on the UQD side when water was introduced. I also did my windows with it as well and it was like I just used RainX. It's like using RainX on your entire car.....the water will easily run off the surface. I used it with my guzzler and it was very easy to use and additional slickness was apparent right away.....similar to the old version of Crystal Mist, but not quite as far as slickness is concerned(Crystal Mist is as slick as snail sh!t;) ). UQD blows their NXT QD away without a doubt.

Great review Scott!

supercharged
06-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Nice review, Scott! This is probably the best QD Megs offers...

alban61
06-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the review, Scott!

wytstang
06-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Intresting thanks for the write up.

richy
06-09-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm wondering about durability? It seemed the only thing it was getting panned on was that it did not last very long. How many days did it keep sheeting for you? I can't find it in any stores locally yet:confused:

jfsully
06-10-2007, 07:20 AM
I believe stores will be selling today (saw a bottle @ AZ and convinced the guy to sell me one early.)

Just wondering how much polycharger to use and which one?

dengood1
06-10-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm wondering about durability? It seemed the only thing it was getting panned on was that it did not last very long. How many days did it keep sheeting for you? I can't find it in any stores locally yet:confused:

My car hasn't seen water since the rain, but it has been through a hard rainstorm and I'll see if it's still there when I rewash the car. I don't think durability is going to be it's selling point----but a very good quick detailer with water repellency as a bonus.

ScottB
06-10-2007, 08:45 AM

Durability is unknown, but truthfully in these products I dont care. They are easy wipe on and off after each wash and add noticable gloss and extra good looks. If it lasts longer, than kudo's but was not my main concern.

Why not buy from AG ???
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-quik-detailer.html)

Polycharged huh ???? Very interesting indeed ;)

bambo2888
06-10-2007, 09:03 AM
nice. with the older bottled nxt qd, i noticed a lot of streaking as well. once eventually removing the streaks, the paint looked pretty good though!

P1et
06-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Just like with AW, I don't find it a big issue to go over the streaks again with a fresh MF and clean it off. Sometimes, it needs to "dry on" a little bit before you can buff it off.

ricka
07-15-2007, 08:41 PM
nice review scott...

i pretty much agree on the evaluation points. easy to apply and wipe off. it does improve with curing as it popped the silver metallic paint much better then next day. hasn't rained here for a bit (now THAT'S a surprise) but assume it has the same water repellent qualities of AW. i would recommend spraying inside an enclosed area (i use the garage) where the too fine mist won't blow all over--it makes sense to transfer to a better spray bottle. finally, i wouldn't be too anal about the durability. it's simply a nice qd that does what its supposed to between washings.

it compares favorably to aw except--it has some cleaning capabilities with a little protection while aw protects without cleaning. i'd use the muqd in between washes for light dusting and dirt removal and the aw as a lsp after washing. with that combo over a good sealant like dg 105 water doesn't stand a chance.

oh, definitely use on the windows like aw. cleaning bug splats is much easier after application.

klumzypinoy
07-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the review Scott. Maybe add some polycharger and report back if you have time. I would love to see the results :)

Dust2Glory
07-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Scott have you tried the PB gloss spray that came with the Natty Combo kit. When you said on scent, the PB has the same smell.