PDA

View Full Version : What Are These White Grainny Things

Pages : [1] 2

Largebore
06-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I have a black 06 BMW and have been fairly successful at getting out most of the swirls, waterspots and smaller scratches with a total Menzerna detail. IP, FP, Glaze and Souvern.

But I cannot get out what looks like tiny granules of sand. I know they are not sand, they are whitish and can be seen throughout the finish.

[1] What are they?
[2] How do I get rid of these things ?

Surfer
06-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Pics? Sounds like tiny pits that might have gotten filled with product, shows strongly on black vehicles.

Largebore
06-09-2007, 08:36 PM
I will try and do some pics but not sure i will get much detail.

I know ahout tiny pits that filled with polish etc and these are not those. They have no surface texture and clay does not remove them. They seem to be like they were sprayed on as they are all over the surface. Not on the surface as they look as if they are under the clear coat..

Surfer
06-09-2007, 08:39 PM
I will try and do some pics but not sure i will get much detail.

I know ahout tiny pits that filled with polish etc and these are not those. They have no surface texture and clay does not remove them. They seem to be like they were sprayed on as they are all over the surface. Not on the surface as they look as if they are under the clear coat..Try using a good cleaner like Klasse AIO or polish if clay isn't removing them. Sounds like some paint overspray from somewhere, didn't you drive through/near any constructions? I had one time where I had some things what looked like paint overspray out of nowhere on my truck and I wasn't near any construction, had no idea where it came from.

Largebore
06-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks Surfer... but i have polished the heck out of it.
Menzera Intensive Polish, then Menerna Final Polish twice, with whte and then grey pads.
These thingies are definetly not solid like paint spray... But maybe... dunnno

Surfer
06-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks Surfer... but i have polished the heck out of it.
Menzera Intensive Polish, then Menerna Final Polish twice, with whte and then grey pads.
These thingies are definetly not solid like paint spray... But maybe... dunnnoHate to say it but did you try picking it off? I had some that no polish, compound would remove and had to use my nail on tiny specks to pick them off. I had little blue dots that stuck out since my truck is white.

Gary Sword
06-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Did you clay your car? If you can feel the spots when you rub your finger over them it sounds like something clay may take off.

Surfer
06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Did you clay your car? If you can feel the spots when you rub your finger over them it sounds like something clay may take off.El Garo cannot reado...already tried clay:D. Is weird, especially if polishing can't remove them?

BlackCoupe
06-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a black 06 BMW and have been fairly successful at getting out most of the swirls, waterspots and smaller scratches with a total Menzerna detail. IP, FP, Glaze and Souvern.

But I cannot get out what looks like tiny granules of sand. I know they are not sand, they are whitish and can be seen throughout the finish.

[1] What are they?
[2] How do I get rid of these things ?

Try IP and an Orange pad. Just work a little area. Tape it off, so you can compare to the adjacent area. Are they mostly on your hood, or all over? Are there any on vertical surfaces?

dengood1
06-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Try IP and an Orange pad. Just work a little area. Tape it off, so you can compare to the adjacent area. Are they mostly on your hood, or all over? Are there any on vertical surfaces?

:confused:Try to wipe with some isopropyl alcohol....

Largebore
06-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I have clayed and they do not respond.
They are definetly not hard substances. LIke a undercoating of tiny white specs.
I did use IP and orange pad.. But no go...

joe.p
06-09-2007, 10:16 PM
all the suggestions above are good ones.. IMHO, i would hold off from doing anything to the finish until you can post some pictures ..

Tex Star Detail
06-09-2007, 10:19 PM
overspray?

dengood1
06-09-2007, 10:19 PM
metal flake perhaps:p J/K

dengood1
06-09-2007, 10:20 PM
overspray?

wouldn't that be removed with claying?