PDA

View Full Version : Help With New Kit

kevincolby650
08-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi Everyone, This will be my starter kit so I am looking for some advice. Everyone has helped and have made some changes.

Setup;

Meguiar's Professional Dual Action Polisher
Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Flat 5.5 inch Foam Pad (3ea)
Lake Country White Polishing Flat 5.5 inch Foam Pad (3ea)
Lake Country Blue Finessing Flat 5.5 inch Foam Pad (2ea)
Lake Country Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible BackingPlate 5" LC-43-125DA
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Meguiar’s #21 2.0 Sealant
Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Cloths (3ea Packs of 3)
Polishing Pad Cleaner
Meguiar's G15812 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer
Meguiar’s Fine Cut Metal Polish
Meguiar's C-2000 Professional Detailing Clay, Mild
Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #34 Final Inspection

Questions;

Are the quantity of pads be enough?
I am still debating between Meguiar's and Wolfgang Line. Any thoughts?
I would also like to know the difference between Megs #26 High Tech Wax and #21 Sealant.

My truck has been neglected for a few years and I want to spend some time taking care of it, and I think with a DA I would enjoy it more. I am thinking of washing, clay, ultimate compound, ultimate polish, and finish with #21 2.0 sealant.

I have a 2000 White Ford F250 Superduty.

This should help with my final decision,

Thanks guys!

Wheelzntoys
08-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Better to keep it in one thread, these are pretty recent.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/68700-final-decisions-before-i-buy-my-first-kit.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/68352-will-what-i-have-planed-work-best.html

kevincolby650
08-09-2013, 11:11 PM
I wanted to get more thoughts then just the people who where in those. Plus people just ended up fighting rather then helping.

Wheelzntoys
08-10-2013, 12:16 AM
I prefer finishing pads, at least x2, you might only need 1 finessing pad.

Some paints can be polished with M205 and finishing pad (soft paint).

Get both 21 and 26, top the sealant with the wax.

kevincolby650
08-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Thank you wheelsz,

If I get 3 finish pads, would I even need a finessing pad?

How long will the 21 and 26 last? 6 months?

Thank you!

Evan.J
08-10-2013, 11:34 AM
You won't need the finesse pads just go with the finishing pads.

You should get about 3-4 months with 21 and 1-2 with 26.

I think you will be fine with the Meg's line. Just remember to do a test spot and always start with the least aggressive method first then work your way up if needed.

kevincolby650
08-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks Evan,

I was going to start with orange light cutting pad and ultimate compound. For the test spot. Should I start with white polishing pad with Megs UC? It has some moderate swirls that's why I was thinking starting with orange.

Is there alternate products that last 6 months or so? Or do those type of sealers not shine as well?

Evan.J
08-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Here is an article in paint condition
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/38689-what-condition-paint-your-vehicles.html

Secondly here is the article on the test spot
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html

So if I were you I would start my test spot with a polishing pad and UP and check your results. If you do not get the results you want the move up to UC and a polishing pad and check. Of all else fails then UC and the cutting pad.

Remember dial in your process and technique on the test spot to save your self aggravation later on.

kevincolby650
08-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Thank you for those articles. That helps clear some things up. That sounds like a great place to start. Does Meguiars make anything that last 6 months or longer? I would like to use something that last longer on my wifes car.

Evan.J
08-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Thank you for those articles. That helps clear some things up. That sounds like a great place to start. Does Meguiars make anything that last 6 months or longer? I would like to use something that last longer on my wifes car.

If you want something longer look to something like Blackfire wet diamond or Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant 3.0

BlackHawk
08-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Why not get a GG6 instead of the Meguires DA? More power (meguires is the weakest) and you get a lifetime warranty with a great company.

Also if it were me id get a least 4 cutting pads. They tend to gum up a lot faster than polishing pads, and you're going want at the very minimum 4 of them to do the whole car. You'll get better results with a cleaner pad.

kevincolby650
08-10-2013, 04:27 PM
If I go with the Wolfgang DGPS 2.0, Would it be best to use their swirl remover and glaze prior? Or could I use the Megs Ultimate line?

I heard the Meguiar's vibrates less then the GG6. Is this not true?
Will I be needing more power then the Megs?

Evan.J
08-10-2013, 04:35 PM
If I go with the Wolfgang DGPS 2.0, Would it be best to use their swirl remover and glaze prior? Or could I use the Megs Ultimate line?

You can still use the Megs Line

I heard the Meguiar's vibrates less then the GG6. Is this not true?
Will I be needing more power then the Megs?

If I had to choose I would pick the GG6

All the answers are in red.

I have the G110v2 and its good but I would take the GG6.

kevincolby650
08-10-2013, 04:50 PM
ok, I will check them out a little more and may just go with the GG6.

Thank you guys!