PDA

View Full Version : La totally awesome as tire cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

lucky417
08-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I read other threads about it but I need a tire cleaner and need OTC. So I was gonna dilute in half with water. The rims on the cars, one is aluminum on a 2013 Honda and the other if chrome on a 2007 Pontiac. I'm not gonna spray right on the rims but I'm.sure some will get on there should I be OK with that?

KillaCam
08-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Try wetting the wheels first then wash and rinse them after as well.

scrubs147
08-09-2013, 06:14 PM
I use this stuff all the time, in fact it's the only thing I use on the wheels. As mentioned, wet the wheels first, spray on (out of direct sunlight) and rinse off immediately and rinse thoroughly.

lucky417
08-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Should I dilute it?

FUNX650
08-09-2013, 06:53 PM
I read other threads about it but I need a tire cleaner and need OTC.
Seriously...
What did you really think of all the information that was contained in the other:
"LA Totally Awesome threads"?

Thanks.

:)

Bob

lucky417
08-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Well Bob it was kind of mixed with no real set dilution ratio if any. That's why I asked :)
And I wanted to make sure that the info on the rims on my rides was out there as well

swanicyouth
08-10-2013, 01:20 AM
Well Bob it was kind of mixed with no real set dilution ratio if any. That's why I asked :)
And I wanted to make sure that the info on the rims on my rides was out there as well

I'm using it as a tire cleaner straight and it works very well. In fact, I've been using it quite a lot. Its very good. I haven't had any issues with it at all. I also use it to clean pads. I like it better than Meg's Degreaser.

FUNX650
08-10-2013, 08:17 AM
The rims on the cars, one is aluminum on a 2013 Honda

I'm not gonna spray right on the rims but I'm.sure some will get on there

Need to think about the braking system components being affected, as well...
if the tire/wheel assembly is not removed from the vehicle

There is quite an exothermic reaction when sodium hydroxide contacts aluminum.
Another danger from this chemical reaction is the formation of a highly explosive, and possibly-asphyxial gas.

Many drain cleaners contain sodium hydroxide.
I've never used them for tire cleaning. Never will!

Bob

swanicyouth
08-10-2013, 08:38 AM
There is quite an exothermic reaction when sodium hydroxide contacts aluminum.
Another danger from this chemical reaction is the formation of a highly explosive, and possibly-asphyxial gas.

Many drain cleaners contain sodium hydroxide.
I've never used them for tire cleaning. Never will!

Bob

The wheels are clear coated / powder coated. It doesn't matter what metal is under the clear coat.

A highly explosive reaction from LA Awesome? C'mon Bob, you can't really think that would happen.

lucky417
08-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Ive been researching and i cant find anyone who said that it damaged their rims... ill pick up some and dilute it probably 1/3 just to ease my mind about it but since i have chrome and polished aluminum i should be alright i think. they should be clear coated ill wet them down before as well. but since i wont be using them that often i will be getting some OPC as well but waiting on funds to be available.

Pureshine
08-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Which LA Awesome are we talking about there are two different ones. There is
LA awesome
LA totally awesome orange apc degreaser

FUNX650
08-10-2013, 10:04 AM
The wheels are clear coated / powder coated. It doesn't matter what metal is under the clear coat.

A highly explosive reaction from LA Awesome? C'mon Bob, you can't really think that would happen.
Did the OP say the aluminum-wheels are definitely clear-coated?

IMHO...I don't believe that:

since i have chrome and polished aluminum i should be alright i think.
...is conclusive!

-Depending on the cleaning-location...
An accumulation of hydrogen gas will indeed explode.
But I doubt a person would be conscience to experience such an event.

C'mon Folks...
Why the push for using this brand of products anywhere near a vehicle???

http://www.schildersmilies.de/schilder/sigh.gif

Bob

lucky417
08-10-2013, 10:11 AM
hmm i thought it was just an apc... didnt know that there was apc and degreaser... i was going to get just the apc......

swanicyouth
08-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Did the OP say the aluminum-wheels are definitely clear-coated?

IMHO...I don't believe that:

...is conclusive!

-Depending on the cleaning-location...
An accumulation of hydrogen gas will indeed explode.
But I doubt a person would be conscience to experience such an event.

C'mon Folks...
Why the push for using this brand of products anywhere near a vehicle???

http://www.schildersmilies.de/schilder/sigh.gif

Bob

I dont think they are selling many 2013 cars without clear coated wheels. Can you imagine when the owner returned for "warranty repairs" when his old school real polished aluminum wheels started to look faded? It's a throw away world. Honda isn't going to be selling any cars where the wheels need maintenance or polishing periodically.

As for which product, I'm talking about the regular yellow LATA. People are using it because it works better than a lot of products out there sold as having the ability to "clean tires", is cheap, and available locally.

I havent seen any posters claiming LATA ruined their wheels, knocked them out, gave them cancer, left them impotent, caused the demise of their marriage, etc.. But there are a lot of threads where some product that was specifically designed as a wheel cleaner did cause at least one of those events.

Just use common sense. Use it on tires (not wheels), keep the wheels wet and cool, and you will be all right.

FUNX650
08-10-2013, 11:10 AM
hmm i thought it was just an apc... didnt know that there was apc and degreaser...
i was going to get just the apc......

What are you currently using to clean your tires/wheels assemblies that is making you so displeased...
that you'll even think about undergoing a search for a product such as LA Totally Awesome?

Even though they're not my vehicles:
I will not endorse the usage of this brand's products anywhere near yours or anybody's vehicle.

And, once again...
Don't disregard the fact that, unless the tire/wheel assemblies are removed from the vehicle...
the braking systems' components will be affected by your choice of any "cleaners".

Bob