PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Finish Polish as a Paint Cleaner

MattyL
08-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Just curious. I will be completely stripping panels to test all the LSP's i've accumulated. Instead of having to buy a new bottle of paint cleaner (P21S, Klasse AIO) for the stripping, I thought maybe I could use Optimum Finish Polish on a pad with no cut i.e. Hydro Tech Crimson. Are the abrasives light enough to not worry about doing this too often, thus preserving the clear? I have a bottleneck of unused LSP's right now. I will not be going the IPA or Dawn route, and CarPro Eraser is $20 more than I feel like spending on additional products at the moment.

What do people think?

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Sounds like a plan to me.

swanicyouth
08-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I've used it for that, but I wouldn't use it many times a year.

Chris Thomas
08-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Use clay first and you've found a very fast and effective paint cleaner...but, GPS adds chemical cleaning to the mix and high gloss.

MattyL
08-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Use clay first and you've found a very fast and effective paint cleaner...but, GPS adds chemical cleaning to the mix and high gloss.

Chris, would you say that the abrasives in GPS are milder or stronger than those of the Finish polish? Also, i'm assuming GPS's abrasives are SMAT like your compound ii, polish ii, & finish polish?

Setec Astronomy
08-09-2013, 06:24 AM
If you are doing this to perform a comparative test, using something like KAIO or GPS, which are AIO's and contain sealant, may skew the test results you are looking for. Of course, all of your test LSP's will have the same base, it's just the base won't be bare paint.