PDA

View Full Version : Edge 2K quick change/dbl sided pad ?'s

BlackRocks
05-31-2006, 10:08 AM
I know, another thread on these pads, but I have to get an answer to this before I take the plunge. I am still very worried about the center drive possibly hitting the paint. My question is how is this prevented at all costs? I am guessing the center of the pad is some sort of backing plate that the connector locks into. Is this the case? Can you Edge pad owners push the pad hard enough that you can get the center drive to touch a surface(say pushing it down onto a table or similar)? Having two sides of the pad for 2/3s to 3/4s the price of two pads is nice.....unless that drive hits the paint under pressure or failure......

Todd

GearHead_1
05-31-2006, 10:46 AM
I've tried you can't. Even if you could compress the foam far enough and you can't. You would touch the lip of the plastic backing plate before you could touch stell. It just won't happen.

Surfer
05-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Love my Edge pads, the foam is thick and the adapter when clipped in sits above the plastic plate, press as hard as you want but it won't touch the paint, believe me I tried lol. These pads are hands down best overall, foam is top notch, perfectly balanced, double sided etc. No offense to other pad makers, but I would never use a velcro/hook and loop pad after using these. Even my buddy who had a ton invested in those type pads only uses his Edge's now.

Well worth the money, and Aaron is a great guy at Edge :cheers:

FloridaNative
05-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Todd the center of the pad has a plate that the adapter connects to. When it is connected the head of the adapter is flush with the plate and will not protrude beyond it.

MikeyC
05-31-2006, 11:17 AM
This should help . . .
http://www.detailcity.org/forums/attachments/car-polishers-buffing-pads-and-accessories/9066-pics-the-edge-pads-edge2k_safe_f1.jpg?d=1148520139

BlackRocks
05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys. I am probably going to try the circular buffer pads first, since I was getting ready to put forward an order of pads for it. I only have a few pads for the PC right now, so I will most likely order the PC kit in a few weeks as I get my business rolling.

Todd

Mr. Clean
05-31-2006, 07:42 PM
My question about the pads is the real world functionality of the double-sided pad. Doesn't the product migrate through the pad, thus rendering the "second" side ineffective for using another product?

Also, what is it like using a pad with product facing upward?

BlackCoupe
05-31-2006, 09:41 PM
I just bought these pads last week. I make it a point not to apply product on both sides of the pad at the same time if I am going to run the rotary above 1500 RPM or the DA above 5 :)

If your product is migrating all the way through the pad, I would guess you would have been using way too much product and/or should have cleaned your pad before that happened. I am looking at my fine polishing pad and I do not see migration through to the top pad (they are two pads pressed together, not one thick pad) at all, let alone to the TOP of the top pad such that it would "contaminate" the product to be used on the top pad. I don't know how many people would use the two product option. My thought on that is that if you are using a more aggressive product you probably want a more aggressive pad. (However, I believe that they will make pads up in any combination you want, but I question how much switching back and forth people do, and since you have to use the quick release to flip the pad, you might as well use a different pad altogether--although I'm sure there is some specialty use where that might come in handy) Just my 2 cents.

joe.p
05-31-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't think the product can bleed through the pad. I remember Arron saying the pad has a thin piece of plastic that divides the two pads.
I don't own them yet {E2K} ,if this information is incorrect please feel free to correct me..

BlackCoupe
06-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Joe--there is a thin piece of plastic, but it does not go completely to the outside diameter. If it did, it could cause damage when you used the edge of the Edge to buff or when you inadvertently bumped something with the Edge edge.

BlackRocks
06-01-2006, 08:16 AM
I'll have the 8" Edge pads here on Monday according to the shipping info AG sent. I ordered the 8" edge kit and also decided to order the aggressive/heavy cutting black foam edge pad as well. I'll give them a shot on some work that I need to do including one vehicle that needs to get some light sanding in several spots.

Todd