PDA

View Full Version : Questionnon paint cleaners

Paul A.
08-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Ok guys and gals...having spent a good 3-4 hours using the search feature i have, as usual, found a wealth of info specifically related to what i think i am looking for here. First of all, thanks for everyone's willingness to share perspective and experiences.

What i have come to love is a good, solid paint cleaner before applying sealants. I want the paint as clean, glossy and as brilliant as possible and revealing virgin paint that my sealant will bond to well. I use my ROB and a white pad for this step and like to buff everything...paint, trim and glass. Again, it's a cleaner and doesn't leave anything behind that might inhibit bonding of the sealant. Froma search, it seems many like Duragloss 501 or Meg's D151.

Because my search yielded some old info from older posts, is there anything more contemporary going on for this step some of you have found? Again, strictly a paint cleaner and machine applied. I think i will order both the DG501 and the Meg's D151 and do my own experimenting but want to try everything that might fit this effort.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Bunky
08-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Mike P. has a whole thread on paint cleaners but do not have the link handy.

Paul A.
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks bunky. Just goes to show that even after 3-4 hours of searching here you still don't get everything! There is SOOOO much info here. Let me look for that now...must've have missed it.

Thanks again.

Bunky
08-08-2013, 11:09 AM
The leave absolutely nothing behind would be something like DP's new paint prep for their coating. Most sealants (BF, menzerna, WG) work fine after using paint cleaners. You could go for a good paint cleaner that cleans well but just follow with CarPro Eraser. This may you get optimized products.

FUNX650
08-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks for anything you can offer.
If you don't mind:
-What is the paint-cleaner you are currently using
with your ROB and a white pad?

-Also: The name of your sealant.

Thanks.

:)

Bob

Paul A.
08-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Yes, valid question funx725...Zaino AIO and then Z2 Pro. I like the idea of "same family" products but will experiment with Blackfire soon and also like to buy larger quantities of products i like. Can't do that with Zaino and quite honestly i am looking for something different after using it for so many years.

I am running low on Zaino and have enough left to experiment with some different replacement products before deciding on a diferent route.

Paul A.
08-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Looks like DP Coating Prep Polish fits this description too. Gonna do some tests on now 3...DG 501 (yes, "marine" product : ), Meg's D151 and now DP coating Prep! I will section off my hood and run all 3 for tests of durability. Whichever one wins i will probably use for the foreseeable future.

Again, i am looking for a good paint cleaner that, after 1-3 stages of cut, buff and polish yields the longest lasting sealant life.

nubaseal
08-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Autoglym HD Cleanser will do the job beautifully.

FUNX650
08-11-2013, 06:01 PM
DG 501, Meg's D151...

DP coating Prep!
Duragloss 501 and Meguiar's D151 are AIO's.
They will leave "something" behind.

DP Coating Prep is not an AIO.

:)

Bob

cleanmycorolla
08-11-2013, 06:30 PM
2/3 you mention are AIOs not just straight up paint cleaners.

You want something like DP Prep Polish. Duragloss Squeaky Clean, or my personal favorite Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish. :dblthumb2:

octane
08-11-2013, 06:48 PM
2/3 you mention are AIOs not just straight up paint cleaners.

You want something like DP Prep Polish. Duragloss Squeaky Clean, or my personal favorite Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish. :dblthumb2: BF Gloss Enhancing polish has some glaze in it from what I read... might not be compatible with some sealants

cleanmycorolla
08-11-2013, 07:55 PM
BF Gloss Enhancing polish has some glaze in it from what I read... might not be compatible with some sealants

I've used it under about 10 different waxes and sealants. Never an issue. He'll be fine. Most paint cleaners have fillers, some have other fun things, oils and such. Rarely will there be issues mixing and matching. My buddy on another forum uses Blackfire GEP as prep for Fuzion. It's goes smooth no issues. :xyxthumbs:

Paul A.
08-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks again, guys.

TundraPower
08-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Lusso Revitalizing Creme. Certainly not cheap, but the best paint cleaner out there.