PDA

View Full Version : Detailing leather/vinyl in 2013 ATS Lux.

flycaster
08-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Not sure this is the right place for this post...

These days with the quality of materials/processes used, it is often very difficult to tell leather from vinyl. I'd like to detail my car's interior, but no one (not even those in the Caddy dealership) has yet to definitively tell me which is leather and which is vinyl. All I have been getting is vague answers, like "...seat tops are leather." Well, what about the seat sides, the head rests, door panels, etc? You get the idea, I need to know which parts of the interior are specifically leather and which are specifically vinyl.

To further complicate the leather aspect of this detail, it is my understanding that probably 95+% of the car leathers today are treated leathers. That is, the leathers are coated with some kind of sealant and thus using leather conditioners is a waste of time and effort as they won't penetrate. And the test is seeing if a drop of water is absorbed. If absorbed=glove leather (untreated, uncoated). If the water beads=coated leather. For treated/coated leather, one only needs mild soap and water to do the job. And then, maybe, followed by Aerospace Protectant 303.

So, if there is agreement that the ATS' leather is coated, then the detailing is simple: Soap and water, followed (perhaps) by 303 for everything as there would be no need to condition anything...just treat all surfaces as if they were vinyl???

Desertnate
08-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I've got the coated leather in my Toyota Highlander Limited. I do a wet rag wipe down to clean followed by 303 to protect after the surface is totally dry.

On a Caddy with leather, I'd think it would be safe to say the seats, head rests, steering wheel (the part you hold), shift knob, Shift lever boot, and probably the door inserts are leather. There may be more, but those are the areas that come to mind when I think of cars I've owned with leather interior.

sproketser
08-08-2013, 10:12 AM
I would do a test spot before anything else .

RTexasF
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I would treat all surfaces as vinyl as the leather is encapsulated in it. Good old Woolite & water works extremely well for cleaning. 10 Parts Woolite to 1 part water for regular cleaning, 6 to 1 for really dirty. Adjust ratio as needed and follow with 303. I've done many a CTS in this fashion and it worked perfectly even on white/cream interiors that were pretty rough.

flycaster
08-08-2013, 11:06 AM
So far it seems that I'm not off base about soap and water followed by 303 for both leather and vinyl. Also, if this be the case, then I need not worry about which is leather and which is vinyl as they both will get the same treatment.

BTW, as my seats are platinum color (grayish white), I was particularly concerned about keeping them clean as my wife uses the car to and from tennis 3-4 days a week. I have her sit on beach towel when she comes home all sweated up as I have fears of the leather staining.

flycaster
08-10-2013, 08:27 AM
However, so far, no one knows which is leather and which is vinyl on the ATS. Didn't realize this question would be so tough on detailers, or maybe no one has done an ATS?

Setec Astronomy
08-10-2013, 08:39 AM
However, so far, no one knows which is leather and which is vinyl on the ATS. Didn't realize this question would be so tough on detailers, or maybe no one has done an ATS?

Well, it's just as tough as for you and the dealer as it is for the detailer to tell what parts are leather and which are vinyl. And no one really takes the time to be sure, because as has been said, it doesn't really matter, for the most part you can use the same products on both surfaces.

However, IMO the sides and backs of things (seat, headrest), that you are never going to touch are going to be vinyl. At one time for the GM cars I was told the perforated part of the seat (main surface in the middle) was the only part that was leather, the side bolsters were vinyl, but I'm not sure that's the case today.

flycaster
08-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Well, it's just as tough as for you and the dealer as it is for the detailer to tell what parts are leather and which are vinyl. And no one really takes the time to be sure, because as has been said, it doesn't really matter, for the most part you can use the same products on both surfaces.

However, IMO the sides and backs of things (seat, headrest), that you are never going to touch are going to be vinyl. At one time for the GM cars I was told the perforated part of the seat (main surface in the middle) was the only part that was leather, the side bolsters were vinyl, but I'm not sure that's the case today.

Yeah, you are right, it doesn't really make any difference knowing which is which as they will all be treated the same...soap (Wollite) and water. It is just my O-ness/C-ness needing to know.

Setec Astronomy
08-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Yeah, you are right, it doesn't really make any difference knowing which is which as they will all be treated the same...soap (Wollite) and water. It is just my O-ness/C-ness needing to know.

Yeah, me too, but it makes my brain hurt...it's almost impossible to tell. What color do you have?

flycaster
08-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah, me too, but it makes my brain hurt...it's almost impossible to tell. What color do you have?

Seats and door inserts are Platinum (lightish gray), rest is black