PDA

View Full Version : New here - some detail questions

NRA7
08-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Hello All. I've been a long time browser of this forum and finally decided to join because it seems like such a great community.

I own a silver 2009 Acura MDX Elite. I am looking to do a full exterior detail so I've decided to purchase all the necessary items.

The condition of the paint seems to be in-between good and very good. There are your typical swirl marks as a result of washing and never being polished out. There are no deep scratches. I do understand polishing and how it works, but being there is SO many different products, I needed to start somewhere. Please keep this in mind as I post the products that I have ordered.

1.) I decided to go with the Griots 6 DA polisher after reading many comparison posts between this and the 7424XP. This has been ordered.

2.) Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover Kit 3.0 - This was purchased as it seems to be a good all in one kit to accompany the Griots polisher. Like I said, I have typical swirl marks and no deep scratches. Also, this comes with pads. If I need any additional ones, please indicate which I should purchase and why.

*Question - The way I understand, the paint sealant is a synthetic replacement for carnauba wax? I believe this comes with everything I need?

3.) Wolfgang Uber Wheel Kit - Ordered this as it looks like a good all in one kit for wheels. Pretty basic.

4.)Cobra Microfiber Towel Combo - Needed some new microfibres dedicated just for the car again as my old ones are worn out. Seems like a good price.

5.) Diamondite Glasswork System Kit for Hand Application - Glass was replaced brand new just a week ago as a result of rock chip. If I maintain, the hand kit should be fine as oppose to the machine kit?

I added a few things like wash mitts and other items. My interior products(Pinnacle, Leatherique) are not in question as I have always been much better at detailing the interior than exterior.

Can't wait to hear Feed back please

Thanks guys!

NRA7
08-08-2013, 12:11 PM
I know it's a lot, so if anyone wants to answer just one of the questions, that's fine. Thanks again!

Eric@CherryOnTop
08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Welcome to AG, it looks like you really did your homework! If you've never used a machine polisher check out some of Mike Phillips' articles and videos, you will probably find them to be incredibly helpful. Don't fewer the DA polisher, once you get on a few panels you will get the hang of it and you will be wondering why it took you so long to get one.

Take your time and read the instructions for the Wolfgang products and I'm sure you will produce excellent results. All of us on the forum really love seeing pictures of people's work, especially those new to polishing.

-Eric

Sent from my Transformer using AG Online

Eric@CherryOnTop
08-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Also, yes, sealant is essentially synthetic wax. Generally speaking, you don't get the "wet and deep" look of caranuba wax, but you get a hard gloss that is plenty durable.

When using your new towels, make sure to rip off the tags before using them on the paint. Good luck!

BlackHawk
08-08-2013, 01:35 PM
How many pads do you have of a certain color? That's pretty important.

stemyx
08-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Welcome to AutoGeek buddy! And feel free to post your results when your done! Remember to always work clean :) Happy Detailing! :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

jayshut11
08-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Looks like a pretty good list.

When it comes to microfibers, I like to have different levels of towel for different uses.

For example:

Level 1 - Highest quality, only use on paint

Level 2 - General purpose, used on interior surfaces and glass with the exception of the instrument cluster

Level 3 - Old towels (still microfiber) used for things like the exhaust and wheels

NRA7
08-08-2013, 02:12 PM
How many pads do you have of a certain color? That's pretty important.

Only one of each which I listed in the link. How many would you recommend. Also, is there a cleaner that I should purchase for the pads?

NRA7
08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Also, can anyone recommend a good bug product as well as soap for washing? I've read good things about CG.

Eric@CherryOnTop
08-09-2013, 04:27 PM
I worked fine for a good while with only one pad per car. Just make sure you keep it clean as you go. Try Chemical Guys Citrus Wash at one ounce per gallon of water. That will clean all the grime off and strip and previously applied wax. The DP Bug cleaner is good for getting off bugs.