PDA

View Full Version : Zep product dilution

grego33
08-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I was going to pick up some Zep 505 and Citrus. I see people diluting them 1:1 and 1:4/1:10, respectively. Are those ratios using the gallon jugs of product or can those same ratios be applied to the spray bottle versions? I think those are typically pre-diluted?

Thanks!

MarkD51
08-07-2013, 05:59 PM
I've been using the Zep Citrus lately at about 3 to 1, or 4 to 1 (1 part Zep to 3, or 4 parts water) and the product seems to be a good basic all around cleaner, around the house, on the vehicles, etc.

Not too strong at those dilutions to harm anything, yet still OK on greasy pots and pans as a pre-treat before washing. OK on tires, wheels, engine, etc, unless the engine is really filthy, then maybe a 1:1 mix.

It's been a good alternative to products like simple green which I no longer like.

The boys here have brought up another truly good product, available at the Dollar Trees, called LA's Totally Awesome", at a buck a bottle, both concentrate, and a pre-mixed Orange Citrus APC, with Oxy Clean in it.
I like them both! Bravo!
Mark

grego33
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
I was going to keep an eye out for the LATA too. But the main thing I wanted to confirm was whether those dilutions start with the gallon of product or you just crack open a 32oz sprayer and pour some out? I wasn't seeing anywhere in all the threads where anyone mentioned that detail. I suspect it's the gallon size people are diluting but I wanted to ask to be sure.

richy
08-07-2013, 06:43 PM
When I use LATA, it's pretty much only for wheel wells or for the tires if they're terrible and 2 shots of 505 hasn't done it (Only has happened once). I use it 100% in a dedicated spray bottle.

505 I also typically use at 100% but have cut it up to 100% some times too. Cutting it hasn't seemed to diminish its performance. Again, a dedicated spray bottle that I mix into.

Zep Citrus I use 4:1 and dilute it in the spray bottle.

Hope that helps. Above are 3 inexpensive, yet highly effective cleaners that are available locally without a dime of shipping.

MarkD51
08-07-2013, 07:18 PM
You're probably right grego, in the smaller bottles, those Zep products are probably already pre-diluted.

The exception will be the LA's totally awesome yellow cleaner in the qt bottle for a $1. That's is a concentrate.

grego33
08-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Just a quick follow up. I stopped by Lowe's today. The gallon size Citrus is clearly marked as a concentrate. But there was no such label on the gallon of 505. I might try and find a contact email and ask them myself but judging by the labeling and fine print on the bottles it seems the Citrus gallon is more concentrated than the spray version and the 505s are the same.

nissenc1337
08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
What's the difference between 505 and the citrus? I'm eyeing the Citrus gallon for bug removal and stripping wax/prewash before claying.

octane
08-12-2013, 12:22 PM
When I use LATA, it's pretty much only for wheel wells or for the tires if they're terrible and 2 shots of 505 hasn't done it (Only has happened once). I use it 100% in a dedicated spray bottle.

505 I also typically use at 100% but have cut it up to 100% some times too. Cutting it hasn't seemed to diminish its performance. Again, a dedicated spray bottle that I mix into.

Zep Citrus I use 4:1 and dilute it in the spray bottle.

Hope that helps. Above are 3 inexpensive, yet highly effective cleaners that are available locally without a dime of shipping.

Hey Richy, were did you get LATA in Canada? were you able to find it locally?

richy
08-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Hey Richy, were did you get LATA in Canada? were you able to find it locally?

Yes, at the Dollar Tree stores.

MyFirstES300
10-08-2013, 06:56 AM
I wanted to bump this thread. I'm glad I found it. My local WalMart has 3 Zep products as I am in need of a good degreaser for cleaning my really dirty MF's and for some general cleaning. Curently I use Knight's Spray Nine as an APC, but... Which is the most powerful? Zep Purple, Citrus, or 505? I don't care about diluting it, and will probably have the gallon for a few years.