PDA

View Full Version : Building a website

lunchboxmunchy
08-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Geeks... Assemble! I am in need of some sort of advice. I currently have a Facebook specifically for my business. But, I am interested in setting up a legitimate website with my own domain name, being able to be listed on Google and whatnot. I've been doing some research online, but it seems a little ridiculous paying $45 plus or minus a month for something like that. It almost makes me wanna stick with the Facebook page. Has anyone made a Web page and have some advice or horror stories of the "adventure".
Thanks everyone!

Keep Calm & Chive On

AutowerxDetailing
08-07-2013, 02:22 AM
My website is the #1 way I get new customers. I have a full time job on top of detailing part time and I simply don't have time to hit the streets to drum up business. The website and word of mouth referrals has given me probably 90% of my business over the past few years. I say definitely go for it!

And it's not going to cost $45/month. Get some cheap hosting on a shared server from gatorhost or godaddy for like $7/month. You can setup a free wordpress site in literally 10 minutes and then just work on it as your time allows to get everything dialed in. Or, if you want full customization get familiar with an html editor and simple html scripts and build your own site from scratch or from a template (what I did).

Best of luck!

Mike Phillips
08-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Lots of options, here's what works for me...

GoDaddy to purchase domain names.
HostGator for important websites.
DayanaHost for cheapie websites.

If you just want a simple website that won't cost you a lot, register your domain name at GoDaddy, about $9.00 a year. Purchase a Say5 STARTER Website Hosting Plan with DayanaHost for $8.99 a year.

That means your website will only cost your $17.99 for a YEAR.

I think there's ways to match this price but not beat it for the service. I've used DayanaHost for over 10 years now and always great service and no problems.

You'll also need to get and learn how to use a FTP program, FileZilla is free and very good. You'll also want and need software for designing your website. I use Dreamweaver but there are a number of fairly good free programs available.

Also read this again as you work through choosing a domain name...

How to choose a name for your detailing business (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/22283-how-choose-name-your-detailing-business.html)

Read this one too...

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23241-brand-yourself-brand-your-forum-nickname-brand-your-business-name.html)

:)