PDA

View Full Version : What do I do about rust spots on my car?

AliMusa
08-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I have a few minor rust spots on my car and was wondering if there was anything that could be done from home to fix this issue. I have a touch up paint marker along with clear coat but I know that's not the only tools needed to fix the problem. Can this be fixed from home? And if so, what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Shtexas
08-06-2013, 09:31 PM
By rust spots do you mean rust that has formed where the paint has chipped away a little bit? For small chips you can use a fiberglass pen to clean the rust up some before layering the paint from the pen, then coating clear in coats until its a little above the surrounding area. Wet sand, compound, polish. If you have a few of these spots in one area on a panel it may be better to have the area sanded and repainted completely.

Rayaz_XL
08-06-2013, 09:40 PM
If it is spot surface rust, some of it can even be removed by claybar!

KillaCam
08-06-2013, 10:02 PM
I would also like to know. It would be nice if there was a spray on product that dissolves rust and doesn't hurt paint.

Calendyr
08-06-2013, 10:03 PM
IronX maybe?

Shtexas
08-07-2013, 12:51 AM
If you want to take an extra step after cleaning the chip out with the fiberglass brush you can use a touch of rust bullet or another corrosion converter.

AliMusa
08-07-2013, 03:22 PM
By rust spots do you mean rust that has formed where the paint has chipped away a little bit? For small chips you can use a fiberglass pen to clean the rust up some before layering the paint from the pen, then coating clear in coats until its a little above the surrounding area. Wet sand, compound, polish. If you have a few of these spots in one area on a panel it may be better to have the area sanded and repainted completely.

The spots are about the size as the one on the left of this picture. Click here (http://imgur.com/6lmonR4)

AliMusa
08-07-2013, 03:23 PM
If it is spot surface rust, some of it can even be removed by claybar!

Hm, I never thought to actually try that. I'm a bit doubtful about it, but that's just me being pessimistic. Thanks for the idea! I'll give it a try.

Ipsdrew
08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
I hadmultiple rock chips on my DD that rusted. I used iron-x to dissolve much of rust (may need 2 applications), then clayed, then polished. Did an IPA wipe to remove the polish residue and filled with a touch up pen. They are still rust free after 2 years :xyxthumbs:

BlackHawk
08-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Hm, I never thought to actually try that. I'm a bit doubtful about it, but that's just me being pessimistic. Thanks for the idea! I'll give it a try.

you're not going to stick a claybar in a rock chip dude that small...

mavin
08-07-2013, 03:33 PM
see what I was able to do on rust spots with the nano skin:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/68611-brief-review-nanoskin-autoscrub-prep-sponge.html

KillaCam
08-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I hadmultiple rock chips on my DD that rusted. I used iron-x to dissolve much of rust (may need 2 applications), then clayed, then polished. Did an IPA wipe to remove the polish residue and filled with a touch up pen. They are still rust free after 2 years :xyxthumbs:

I've used iron x with success but for some rust it takes so many applications it takes forever.

Rayaz_XL
08-07-2013, 04:54 PM
you're not going to stick a claybar in a rock chip dude that small...

Lol i didnt' even see that pic till after yeah i guess a claybar wont work if its actually a large stone chip

I would carefully sand that clean using a chip repair pen, touchup primer, touchup color then touchup clear by dupli-color

Ipsdrew
08-08-2013, 03:04 PM
I've used iron x with success but for some rust it takes so many applications it takes forever.

Let the iron-x dwell, then gently agitate with a boars hair (or similar) brush. Really helps the iron-x to penitrate and dissolve the rust

Sent from my HTCONE using AG Online

KillaCam
08-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Let the iron-x dwell, then gently agitate with a boars hair (or similar) brush. Really helps the iron-x to penitrate and dissolve the rust

Sent from my HTCONE using AG Online

I'll try that. Thanks!