PDA

View Full Version : Clay Organizer

Pages : [1] 2

Pats300zx
08-06-2013, 06:28 PM
I was in Harbor Freight today and saw this on sale for $3.99. I figured it would be perfect to hold all of my clay. I was sick of just throwing it into a drawer and tired of having tons of "clay holders". It holds a ton and the sections are adjustable.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/gallery/data/618/medium/Clay_Organizer.jpg

Detailing by M
08-06-2013, 06:32 PM
awe, that's cute. jk.
Nice.
Organization is the key to keeping your OCD at bay.

DetailKitty
08-06-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm gonna thread jack here and ask why do you have different clays?

Detailing by M
08-06-2013, 06:47 PM
^^^
Because not all paint is created equally.
When detailing you need the "right stuff"
So you have to carry practically everything.

DetailKitty
08-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Excellent answer....

Now to continue to thread jack: how do you know what is the right clay?

goodinblack
08-06-2013, 06:51 PM
^^^
Because not all paint is created equally.
When detailing you need the "right stuff"
So you have to carry practically everything.

Care to explain further?

Are you talking about the hardness level?

DaHen
08-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Interesting. And ya gottem labeled as well. :xyxthumbs:

I know where I'm going tomorrow......

Blackthorn One
08-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Care to explain further?

Are you talking about the hardness level?

Different clays have different coarseness like fine, med/fine and heavy duty. There might be more than one level of each type. Also, some clays are harder than others, so you would use the harder clay in the hot weather and the soft clay in the colder weather.

DetailKitty
08-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Different clays have different coarseness like fine, med/fine and heavy duty. There might be more than one level of each type. Also, some clays are harder than others, so you would use the harder clay in the hot weather and the soft clay in the colder weather.

Damn..... Just when you think you have stuff figured out.

goodinblack
08-06-2013, 08:47 PM

This. :(

Blackthorn One
08-06-2013, 09:55 PM

The Griot's clay is rather soft, so it isn't the best on hot days, because your fingers go through it in about a minute. Griot's headquarters is in WA where it is colder than in CA where I am, so I guess it makes sense. Hardness is not the same as coarseness.
If a car is severely oxidized and you are going to polish, you can use the heavy duty clay, like Meguiar's sells, the maroon stuff. This clay is abrasive, so if claying and heavy oxidation removal is needed, then it's the stuff.

For most jobs, you would use the med/fine grade clay, which is most common. A light polish will be needed after if you want it perfect.

Finally, there is the ultra fine clay, which doesn't need to be polished after in most cases, and was made for more frequent claying for those really picky car owners.

DetailKitty
08-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Awesome... this makes sense :xyxthumbs:

Thx!

I did notice the Griots garage clay always got too soft. I went with Meguires grey this time around.

c8n
08-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Not to mention... I have clays designated for paint only, then glass only and wheels only.

VP Mark
08-07-2013, 08:04 AM
This whole thread reeks of more reasons to use deacon towels and sponges instead of clay. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

c8n
08-07-2013, 08:18 AM
^ Yep... love my nanoskin towel.
However, I don't know about using the towel on the wheels tho.
I am sure its fine since you can rinse it off but to side with caution, I still prefer to use my designated clay for wheels only.