PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant vs Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

kevincolby650
08-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi there,

Thank you all for your help!

Just wondering what the difference is between Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0.

Do they last about 6 months?

soarinsirg
08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Have not used megs #21 but have used megs #20 ( polymer sealant). Does offer about 6 months, depending on weather and usage obviously. WDGS offers just as much protection and an even better look in my opinion. If you are not going to put a carnauba wax on top, stick with WDGS. Have used wolfgang on my black jeep. Shop I work in uses megs.

kevincolby650
08-06-2013, 07:58 PM
thank you

FUNX650
08-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Just wondering what the difference is between Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0.
I like and use 'em both!!
But if you're using, say, Meg's UC: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/68684-do-you-need-paint-cleaner-meguiars-ultimate-compound.html...
I'd go with Meg's# 21 2.0 if I were you...{<Synergy>...et al.}

Do they last about 6 months?
Too many variables---natural and man-made---to give an exact time period.
Let's say they should 'last longer', than waxes will, under the same identical conditions.

:)

Bob

VR8
08-06-2013, 10:05 PM
I've used both, and like both. Wolfgang may have a slight advantage on ease of removal. #21 does well in dry, non-humid weather. If you take it off too soon, you'll see some smeared areas after you put it in the sun ... #20 is very similar to Wolfgang in my book. 6 months is a consistent average you could expect from any of these.

cardaddy
08-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I like and use both. Although I so far all my usage of WG has been from the numerous samples I've gathered every few weeks or so. ;) When I'm buying, I'm buying Megs 21 2.0 and use it MUCH more often. Synergy perhaps.... who knows at this point. Used to be I'd use Megs just because I had so freaking much of their other products. Now however I have WG & BF in both WOWO and WOWA versions. :laughing:

That being said.... I prefer to apply the WOWO versions of ANY sealant over and above the WOWA version. For me, it's a LOT easier to put a pad on the GG and apply it very evenly and very thin than it is to crawl around with a surgically clean microfiber applicator pad and just hope I get enough vapor(s) of the WOWA version(s) on the paint to actually get full coverage. (For those that have done it, you know what I mean. A few drops on the applicator pad and wipe an entire panel, few more drops and another panel, (reminds me of lather rinse repeat). :rolleyes: I just find it frustrating to get full coverage with what it literally vapors compared to a film that I KNOW is there. :dunno:

kevincolby650
08-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Would the extra step of adding a glaze beforehand be usefull? If so what would would you recomend?

cardaddy
08-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Would the extra step of adding a glaze beforehand be usefull? If so what would would you recomend?

The only time I'd put a glaze on ANYTHING would be maybe a show car that already had darned near perfect paint, was going to a weekend show (preferably inside), and wasn't going to be exposed to any washing or water till the next time I did any maintenance on it.

In other words, a glaze is nothing but a quick "cover-up" that can add 'pop', but has literally ZERO durability. I look at glaze like makeup hiding bad skin. Topping a glaze with a sealant is a waste of sealant, because the glaze will wash off long before even the cheapest sealant would. (imho of course) :dunno:

The Guz
08-08-2013, 12:37 AM
I haven't used either but I just picked up a bottle of #21 based on all of the good reviews for it. You should be fine with either one.

kevincolby650
08-14-2013, 08:21 PM
does #21 or #26 leave a white residue on trim? I plan on taping but wondering for specific areas,

cardaddy
08-14-2013, 10:30 PM
does #21 or #26 leave a white residue on trim? I plan on taping but wondering for specific areas,

You'll want to remove tape before sealing. Whether you've done single or multi-step paint correction for instance.

Both don't need to get on trim, but can get on it if you wipe it right off. I don't have anything with a bunch of hard plastic trim that turns white though, but rubber trim I don't have any problems with. Just wipe as you go. Also with M21 you can leave it on anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours and it seems to come off just as easy.

In the interest of full disclosure, I mentioned earlier in the thread how I'd rather not use a WOWA sealant. One of the reasons is all the wiping of the paint with the applicator and a fear that applicator induced marring will take place. In looking at several microfiber applicators I have, they are ALL made of the cheapest microfiber towels you can buy. I actually have two green ones that were sent as freebies that match exactly the green mf applicator pads in one of my last orders.

With that being said, I washed my G the other day, just too dusty to keep wiping it plus I got caught with a little bit of wet road (about half a mile) the other day on the way home. (Wasn't raining, but the road was still damp from a passing shower.) Decided I'd just put a coat of BF Crystal Seal on it, and instead of the regular pad, I just folded up one of the Costco gold's into a small pad and it worked like a charm. Much softer than the other pads, and a little longer nap to boot. ;)

One thing I don't like about it (BF CS) now that it's cured a couple of days, is it is a LOT less slick and sexy feeling than Megs 21. It's actually 'grabby' feeling! Megs leaves the surface sensual and silky feeling, like sliding a satin top sheet off a bottom sheet. Not quite oily, but surely not 'grabby'.

I'll hit it tomorrow with some BF WD Polymer Spray and see if that helps the feel. Seems I remember that WG DG Liquid Seal wasn't as 'grabby'. :dunno: Also have WG DG Spritz Sealant, but I'd be hard pressed to say there was much difference between it and the BF WD Polymer Spray.

I know that Megs 156 is slicker, and DG 951 is slicker than that. (Plus I keep a bottle of each that has been polycharged.) :)

The Guz
08-14-2013, 10:33 PM

I believe they do.

kevincolby650
08-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys!

spiralout462
08-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Seems I remember that WG DG Liquid Seal wasn't as 'grabby'. :dunno:

I have not tried BFCS but for me WDGLS sheds water like crazy, looks nice and is easy to apply......slick it is NOT. For about a week it "felt" pretty nice, after that I would call it "grabby". I have thought the same thing about the quality of MF applicators. I believe I will try the folded towel next time.:xyxthumbs:

cardaddy
08-15-2013, 02:12 PM
I have not tried BFCS but for me WDGLS sheds water like crazy, looks nice and is easy to apply......slick it is NOT. For about a week it "felt" pretty nice, after that I would call it "grabby". I have thought the same thing about the quality of MF applicators. I believe I will try the folded towel next time.:xyxthumbs:

Oh they both shed water, (although on my G it hardly gets wet).;) I just don't know if I like the 'feel', to the point where I'd rather use a WOWO sealant. :dunno:

I probably spend more time removing product and trying something new on the darned thing than I would if I drove it in the darned rain! :laughing:

And yeah... the applicator thing I think is a thing of the past with a decent folded towel. :dblthumb2: