PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

Pages : [1] 2

Herrmann22
08-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Howdy!

I joined this site because well, I like the colors. I'm kidding... Actually, I plan to start taking care of my vehicles now for some reason. I've always purchased new vehicles but besides the occasional wash I've never took the time to wax anything. Why the change of heart? Not sure! I just think a shiny, clean vehicle looks good but my vehicles never look that way. I wonder why? :p

I noticed this site pushes a lot of their own products (I don't blame them. Gotta make money you know!) but honestly, I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars keeping my car shiny. I'm sure the products are fabulous here but with me being a frugal mindset and the fact I don't live and breath car detailing as a hobby, I am looking for some honest opinions.

I shop at Wal-Mart. Why? It makes sense. Money is tight and I don't own a money tree and have higher priorities to spend my money on. With that said, I'm looking for a few items to start with:

1. Car Wash
2. Wax
3. ??? (Not sure what else I will need yet)

For someone on a tight budget but still wants a decent wash/wax job what products are a good buy at Wal-Mart or local retailers?

Let's start off here and see what happens. I'm sure this will spark some comments and suggestions and that's what I'm here for!

:props:

cleanmycorolla
08-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Meguiars stuff, can be found here too.

zmcgovern45
08-06-2013, 04:03 PM
While there are some products that are a bit more expensive than others, the saying "you get what you pay for" generally holds true.

In some instances, you can save money by purchasing professional quality products in larger sizes... ie shampoos in a gallon size.

I always tell people that if you want to be in it for the long haul, spend the money and you will be surprised at how long the products last you. I mean a bottle of sealant will last you years, even if you apply it 2-3 times per year as you should. I have been working on the same gallon jug of shampoo for about a year now (and I wash a LOT of cars), but since it only takes an ounce per wash that stuff lasts forever.

Don't let some prices scare you... the cheap stuff at walmart is simply that... cheap. However many stores are starting to carry Meguiar's professional line and some Griot's Garage products as well.

Welcome to the forums!

david11g35
08-06-2013, 04:06 PM
If you want good products on a budget you cant go wrong with Duragloss

Desertnate
08-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Another vote for the Meguiars stuff at WalMart.

I use(d) the following items that can all be found there with good success.

- Gold Class Car Shampoo
- Clay Bar Kit
- Plastic X
- Ultimate Compound
- Ultimate Polish
- Ultimate Interior Protectant
- Quick Detailer
- Tire Dressing

I've also picked up decent microfiber towels there too.

wdmaccord
08-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Agree on duragloss. Get the gallon of 902 wash at CARQUEST for @ $20 (ask them for a 1 ounce pump dispenser also). You only need an ounce or 2 per wash, so you will get over 60 washes from the gallon. Get a microfiber wash mitt from Walmart or Target along with some microfiber drying and detailing towels. Get a couple 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot for $3 each or so. Or I've heard of some people asking a bakery or deli for a couple 5 gallon buckets and they will usually give them to you. Get a couple Grit Guards for $10 each...one for each bucket...at a minimum get one for your "rinse" bucket. Watch some videos on this site how to do the 2 bucket method.

Meguiars products are inexpensive and will work just fine given you don't plan to go all out. Get some Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish to clean the paint up a bit, then the Gold Class wax is decent. The wax you will probably need to apply every month if you aren't using a durable sealant underneath (sealant won't keep your wax on longer, but the wax will be your only protection from the element and won't last long. If wax burns off on my car in a month, I don't care because I use it for a look but I have a polymer sealant underneath that I know is still protecting it after it burns off). I would highly recommend you clay the car too and Meguiars should have reasonably priced kits at Walmart.

DogRescuer
08-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi, you can do a decent job with:

Megs shampoo
Megs clleaner/wax paste
We have to learn to say "thats good enough"

run fast and dont look back, Ive been bit

mikesal57
08-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Howdy!

I joined this site because well, I like the colors. I'm kidding... Actually, I plan to start taking care of my vehicles now for some reason. I've always purchased new vehicles but besides the occasional wash I've never took the time to wax anything. Why the change of heart? Not sure! I just think a shiny, clean vehicle looks good but my vehicles never look that way. I wonder why? :p

I noticed this site pushes a lot of their own products (I don't blame them. Gotta make money you know!) but honestly, I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars keeping my car shiny. I'm sure the products are fabulous here but with me being a frugal mindset and the fact I don't live and breath car detailing as a hobby, I am looking for some honest opinions.

I shop at Wal-Mart. Why? It makes sense. Money is tight and I don't own a money tree and have higher priorities to spend my money on. With that said, I'm looking for a few items to start with:

1. Car Wash
2. Wax
3. ??? (Not sure what else I will need yet)

For someone on a tight budget but still wants a decent wash/wax job what products are a good buy at Wal-Mart or local retailers?

Let's start off here and see what happens. I'm sure this will spark some comments and suggestions and that's what I'm here for!

:props:

Do you want to just keep the car out of the car wash or some paint correction?
Investing in the beginning will be necessary to get started...
The joy comes later on...

If you don't have the money , then get the basics from Wal-Mart
bucket ,sponge, car wash, tire cleaner, towels , liquid wax.

jamesboyy
08-06-2013, 04:56 PM
I understand what you saying when money is tight,money is tight for me too thats why i make some of my own products like glass cleaner, wheel cleaner, tire shine,interior cleaner and such but when i have the money i will slurge on AG or when i find a quailty product on ebay

hernandez.art13
08-06-2013, 05:10 PM
All Purpose cleaners are very handy, tire gel and brushes IMO

Drying towel also

Wes Bremec
08-06-2013, 05:19 PM
I'll never step foot into Walmart. Shame on that store for draining the local businesses!

DogRescuer
08-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I'll never step foot into Walmart. Shame on that store for draining the local businesses!
Ouch

Herrmann22
08-07-2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks for all the honest suggestions. I was expecting a lot of bashing for my post (forums are known for that) but you all seem pretty cool and I appreciate that. I understand this is a detailing forum and I'm sure there and plenty of folks on here who don't care what things cost when it comes to their vehicles but right now I just need to get started with a common sense approach to decent products that don't require taking out a second mortgage ya know?

Wes Bremec
08-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Start shopping at a different store

c8n
08-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Most of the items you need for proper vehicle maintenance can be bought at Walmart. I am also a Meg's fan and they are available at Walmart. However, two things I could not find were good quality MF towels and grit guards. Although I don't use my grit guards much these says since I use the GD method, good quality MF towels is a must IMO.