PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar’s Fine Cut Metal Polish vs Meguiar’s Hot Rims Chrome Polish

kevincolby650
08-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I was wondering what product would work best for chrome bumpers and wheels.

Is there much of a difference with these products?

Thank you!

Michael Stoops
08-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Both will work well, but understand that if you have actual scratches in chrome plating they are darn near impossible to remove due how hard chrome is. The new Finishing Metal Polish is great on chrome (truly awesome on billet aluminum, by the way) but the Chrome Polish is a touch more aggressive and may do a better job of deep cleaning somewhat older chrome. If you've got brand new, high quality chrome (yes, there are low quality chrome finishes) that you want to keep looking really nice, the Finishing Polish is the way to go.

For the record, of our three new metal polishes, we do NOT recommend using the Heavy Cut on chrome as it may very well haze the finish. Removal of that haze on a surface as hard as chrome is no fun at all, so stick with the Medium Cut or Finishing Cut on chrome.

KillaCam
08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Both will work well, but understand that if you have actual scratches in chrome plating they are darn near impossible to remove due how hard chrome is. The new Finishing Metal Polish is great on chrome (truly awesome on billet aluminum, by the way) but the Chrome Polish is a touch more aggressive and may do a better job of deep cleaning somewhat older chrome. If you've got brand new, high quality chrome (yes, there are low quality chrome finishes) that you want to keep looking really nice, the Finishing Polish is the way to go.

For the record, of our three new metal polishes, we do NOT recommend using the Heavy Cut on chrome as it may very well haze the finish. Removal of that haze on a surface as hard as chrome is no fun at all, so stick with the Medium Cut or Finishing Cut on chrome.

Do you have any before and afters of the fine cut polish on billet aluminum? I'm interested. I saw this locally and wondered how it performed.

kevincolby650
08-06-2013, 05:01 PM
would it be a bad idea to start with Finishing Metal Polish and see how it looks? I didn't notice any scratches, mainly just oxidized.

Would it be ok to apply with a DA with 4" finishing pads?

Detailing by M
08-06-2013, 06:12 PM
would it be a bad idea to start with Finishing Metal Polish and see how it looks? I didn't notice any scratches, mainly just oxidized.

Would it be ok to apply with a DA with 4" finishing pads?

Sounds good to me.
I have all these polishes, chrome bumpers and aluminum rims.
I will test all these out as soon as I can.