PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on compressors for MF pad cleaning / cooling

lawrenceSA
08-06-2013, 08:21 AM
All my detailing experience is with foam pads and given that I work on predominantly harder clears from the VAG stable, I would like to invest in some MF pads for increased cutting capabilities.

I understand that compressed air is a must to not only clean the pads, but also to help cool them down.

With absolutely NO experience with these, or compressors for that matter, I would truly appreciate some input from all you knowledgeable 'geeks.

Firstly, how many MF cutting pads are used (on average) per vehicle - I realize the more the better allowing for multiple changes throughout the detail, but what is a good starting point?

Then in terms of compressors, what do I need....?

How are they rated (air flow capacity etc?) - is there anything to look out for?

I really am clueless with all of this so all your input will be valued.

Thanks in advance

Lawrence

ken tuep
08-06-2013, 09:01 AM
I haven't used the microfiber pads so can't speak on those.

The air compressor can be pretty much any, so long as you can plug it in and power it up. I had a Porter cable 2 HP 6gallon for years that served me well.

If you're just going to be using it For cleaning pads, I purchase a small used one from Craigslist, or a pawn shop. Or any store that sells them locally, home depot, Lowes, Sears. Many can be purchased for under $150 with a little air hose and blower kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Colinpd137
08-06-2013, 09:51 AM
I have a 6 Gallon / 150psi Porter-Cable as well that I use. Haven't had any problems with it thus far, does the job & I have no complaints. If your looking to run Air powered DA / Sanding tools i'd go with something much bigger. Check craigslist in your local area that's where I found mine for a great deal.

Evan.J
08-06-2013, 09:56 AM
I have a nice little 1.5 gallon craftsman air compressor and it does a perfect job with the MF pads
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/thoryamaha919/IMG_2504_zps33e0b49a.jpg

Shtexas
08-06-2013, 10:38 AM
For just blowing out the pads most small compressors will work. The two common available ones are oiled and non oiled units. Non oiled are cheaper but don't last as long, they're a little louder as well. Oiled units have a longer life and are a little quieter. With an oiled unit though you need an inline oil/water separator to keep the oil from the blowing air.
-A note on buying used compressors. Personally I would never buy a used air compressor unless it was relatively new. With a basic new one costing around $100 I don't see the point in chancing buying an old one with a rusted out tank from someone who didn't maintain and drain it. They can basically be a time bomb. After seeing a rusted through 10gal tank at 125psi explode the money saved isn't worth it to me

Pureshine
08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
You should always ha e at least 4-5 at all times and I use anywhere from 2-3 pads per car depends on car car size. I recommend get a backing plate with holes in it if your going to use MF pads. When using MF pads clean the pads every panel. Heat is very bad for the pads so keeping them clean is key for them to work right. I have a pancake compressor from Habor Fieght was $45 and has a 2 year replacement warranty.

Detailing by M
08-06-2013, 10:53 AM
You don't have to have an AC.
I've been using these pads for years now with no AC
Brush them clean, once the pad loads up switch to a clean pad.
And I've never had a problem with heat.

JSou
08-06-2013, 11:09 AM
The MF pads are great. Have used them directly in the sun, high heat with a brush. (Yes, breaking all of the rules).

The Air Compressor makes it easier to clean out as I rarely ever use my brush when I have it on.

I have about 6 MF pads ready per car. For AIO's I've gotten away with 4 pads for a full sized sedan. Hope that helps.

Evan.J
08-06-2013, 11:14 AM
You don't have to have an AC.
I've been using these pads for years now with no AC
Brush them clean, once the pad loads up switch to a clean pad.
And I've never had a problem with heat.

Mario which pad brush are you using?

How many sections would you say you get out one pad?

Detailing by M
08-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Meg's pad brush? I don't know exectly what it's called
about 2-3 sections.