PDA

View Full Version : Foam gun OK to primarily use?

Burns ST
08-06-2013, 12:34 AM
So I've recently bought a 2013 Focus ST and I've decided to keep better care of it beyond my old wash/tire shine. I've bought a few specialty items for my arsenal and I'm getting pretty interested in detailing.

My question is this, is it recommended to use a foam gun as a primary source of soap/clean water. Basically I've been hosing a panel down with my foam gun then soaking my mitt with the same soapy solution straight from the gun, then rinsing in a bucket avec grit guard. I do not use a clean water/soap bucket. I do however frequently hose rinse my mitt with clean water. I didn't see the point of the two bucket method assuming Im keeping the mitt clean and soapy when rubbing down the car.

Radarryan
08-06-2013, 12:46 AM
I use the same method as you, sometimes just using strong spray from the hose in place of a rinse bucket. Other times I use a foamy bucket to soak the mitt in with the foam gun. The biggest thing is just minimizing debris in the wash mitt so it doesn't scratch your car. I think that your method accomplishes that. To quote the great one: "find what you like and use it!"

Burns ST
08-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah I figured as long as I keep my wash mitt clean from dirt I'm pulling off and the car and mitt full of soap then I should be okay. I also wash half the car with one mitt, then use a fresh one for the second half.

Who's "the great one". The Rock?

Radarryan
08-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Yeah I figured as long as I keep my wash mitt clean from dirt I'm pulling off and the car and mitt full of soap then I should be okay. I also wash half the car with one mitt, then use a fresh one for the second half.

Who's "the great one". The Rock?

Haha, no, though he his great. The person I was referring to is Mike Phillips.

Setec Astronomy
08-06-2013, 12:00 PM
As you suggest, when I use my foam gun I have no "wash" bucket, only a rinse bucket.

Gen9Rolla
08-06-2013, 02:52 PM
I have a rinse bucket with a grit guard, then the foam gun to first foam the panel I'm cleaning, then I'll spray the foam in front of the mitt as I wash.

varga740
08-06-2013, 03:14 PM
So I've recently bought a 2013 Focus ST...

NICE!!!:dblthumb2: I have a silver ST3. Have you registered in the focusst dot org forum? We talk detailing in there as well. Of course this site has much more info overall but it's nice to see what works for others who have the same car.

Anyways, sorry to get off topic...

Burns ST
08-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah I'm on that site. Just creeping though, don't think I've posted.

I got my ST in May. Oxford white, blue stripes. Its the car in my pic.

oldmodman
08-07-2013, 02:40 AM
Since I generally have plenty of time and a lot of dust and dirt blown onto my outdoor parked cars I use both.

Start with foaming the car. Let it sit for five minutes then wash off.
Foam again and wash with a Wookies Fist and the two bucket method.
Rinse the car with tap water to get every trace of soap off the car then switch over to a filtered water final rinse.
And even though the water is filtered I still dry the cars with a guzzler.

I find that this goes a long way to keep the swirls away.