PDA

View Full Version : Wash lake country pads before 1st use?

I smell bacon
08-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I searched, I failed.

Simple question from someone totally new to machine polishing (I just got my kit about an hour ago). Do I have to wash my brand new lake country pads before I use them?

Thanks!

VP Mark
08-05-2013, 05:50 PM
The microfibers... yes. They shed like crazy. The foam are good to go right out of the box though. Have fun!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
08-05-2013, 05:51 PM
No? Unless you have some reason to believe they are contaminated. Usually they are shipped in some sort of bag, if you see surface contamination, brush it off. Washing is usually to remove spent polish and paint.

You're talking about foam or microfiber pads? Really the answer is the same, it might be more difficult to visually examine the MF pads for debris.

I smell bacon
08-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the info. The ones I am asking about are the foam ones so I'm thinking I'm good to go.

Now I need to clay the paint to get any little bit of surface contamination that is left out and then I'm at it with my Poorboy's SSR1, Black Hole and EX-P.

Here's to my first foray into machine polishing. (Waxmaster 9" machines don't count IMO)

Thanks again folks!
:righton:

wdmaccord
08-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Good idea to give it a mist of a pad conditioner and let it sit backing side down so the pad can soak it up a bit. Also, prime a brand new pad with product before your first pass. I usually do this before any new detail with a dry pad, whether it has been used or not.

I smell bacon
08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Pad conditioner? Guess I got more research to do... Thanks for the tip!

Cosmin
08-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I searched, I failed.

Simple question from someone totally new to machine polishing (I just got my kit about an hour ago). Do I have to wash my brand new lake country pads before I use them?

Thanks!

send them to me, to put some experience on them :))